London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
41 to 60 of 261 messages
12/02/2014 at 14:12

Cameron's back sliding on that comment today about money being no object.  How long was it this time before he broke his word, just a day!  Apparently he was just referring to the rescue effort not to preventative measures.

Edd
12/02/2014 at 14:14
Suburbshrub wrote (see)

Edd, yes it does.

Not only me then

I am not sure but if you write your text first and then insert the quote where you want it than that might work. With a bit of luck your quote should appear above this.

12/02/2014 at 14:19

i do wish you would stop talking about a BEDROOM TAX, as i understand it if you are claiming benefits to pay your rent and rates you can only claim for the amount of bedrooms your family needs

12/02/2014 at 14:30

Ah yes..........but gardeners may need that extra room to house the plants we all keep buying and haven't the space for or indeed, can't plant out due to the awful weather

12/02/2014 at 14:39

you can have as many rooms as you like if you pay for them yourself 

12/02/2014 at 15:08

Re the young lad who had just brought his first house.

Fortunately, unless he has spun a dodgy deal or was unable to get flood cover (unlikely since I don't think it was a well known flood area), mortgage companies wont hand over the cash until you've got what they consider adequate insurance in place. Something we've just been through as we had to send the policy paperwork over to our solicitor before they could complete the sale.

I just hope that in order to save some cash he didn't then cancel it once he got the keys.

12/02/2014 at 15:44

ahhh, just got in to find my plastic greenhouse, which was tied to the fence and had heavy items propped against it, on the floor with my tiny seedlings thrown out of their seed trays. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Sorry needed that. I will just have to start again.

12/02/2014 at 15:51

Oh dear MMeerkat - sympathies - rotten storm - never mind, plenty of time yet to start again - when the weather improves 

12/02/2014 at 16:00

ah so sorry magicalM, scream away, cry a little then get gardening all over again.

12/02/2014 at 16:11

Little Ann............I do...........it wasn't meant to be a serious comment.

OTOH, last winter I kept several orchids in the bath for a few weeks (easier to spray them  ). 

Oops..........before anyone reaches for a clothespeg to put on their nose, I do have a separate shower as well

12/02/2014 at 16:19

As far as I'm aware there has never been a case of so many storms following each other so quickly and on top of an already wet winter that has saturated the ground so it can absorb no more water. 

A hydrology expert on the news today said that no amount of dredging would have saved the Somerset Levels from flooding in these conditions and the current climate trend is for wetter, stormier winters.    As for the Severn and Thames basins, a lot of the problem is from what is happening higher up nearer the source and the inability of the ground to absorb water.   Springs bubbling up through floors and gatdens are not about river management but soil saturation.

I think that councils could and should have called in the army earlier to help with pumping and sandbags but I also think that any building along rivers and flood plains and catchment areas should be required to have flood defence in mind and raise ground floor levels.  The Dutch manage to do it so the technology is there.

I also think that there needs to be joined up thinking in land management from farming techiques and crops grown to industrial and housing developments using porous materials in landscaping and for parking.

I feel desperately sorry for all the people who have been flooded, their businesses and jobs, their pets and livestock and the wildlife.   I hope they get all the help they need to recover when the rain does finally stop and they can dry out and repair their homes and lives.

12/02/2014 at 16:48

Thanks Dove and MrsG, I've tried to save a few, but if they don't survive, Then I shall try again, you are right there is plenty of time . I live on the south coast and the wind has been so strong. Every night we can here things banging over in everyone's gardens, and we now share our garden with four of our neighbours, because so many panels are down.

But we are not under water, so we a lucky! Hopefully this weather will change soon.

12/02/2014 at 16:55

Well said obelixx.  

Magical Meerkat when all these storms have passed maybe you and your neighbours could consider planting hedges between your properties, this would be a great opportunity to link your gardens, they are cheaper than fencing and won't blow down. Even cheaper if you bulk buy. 

12/02/2014 at 18:06

Yes, Obelixx, that is a reasoned and reasonable argument. As with so many things we need to have more planning and less reacting when things get too bad.

State of the roads, public transport, anyone?

12/02/2014 at 18:43

Joined up thinking does seem to be a mystery to those who make the policies.

Re the roads, just in the last few weeks, it is noticeable in my area that the surface of many roads is, literally, washing off.  Someone mentioned somewhere the prevalence of the various Utility companies who, perversely it seems to the layman, wait until the road has been resurfaced and then nip in, dig it up , lay whatever they need and then re surface........

I have particularly noticed this with the advent of the new Hinckley C power station.....lots of works going on.......some of which don't seem to make a lot of sense.......disruption abounds but I'm not sure it benefits the residents of the area.

I'm not against Nuclear Power as such.......I use electricity after all...........but that is a whole debate on its own. 

Right at this minute, it is a toss up between a Wet Suit and a Lead lined Suit 

KEF
12/02/2014 at 20:12

Well thank goodness we have this thread. We'd have no new members if this was on all the other threads.

Hope all are enjoying a rant. Bet it goes quiet as soon as Spring is here.

12/02/2014 at 20:26

Yes because we'll all be in the garden! 

12/02/2014 at 21:48
Another 6 months and we'll all be moaning about a hose pipe ban, that's how bonkers this country is!!!
12/02/2014 at 21:57

I just love the comment invariably made by politicians and experts after disasters strike - ''lessons have been learned'!.

What lessons did they learn about the Somerset levels - things worked pretty well for hundreds of years, with locals knowing full well what the problems were, and how to resolve them - then the experts appeared - the Environment Agency. Led by failed politician, Mrs Young ( I won't honour her with a title), who was head of the Royal Society for Birds, they thought it would be a good idea to spend millions on a bird sanctuary, and encourage farmers to turn their fields into 'wetlands'

Has she, in hindsight, learnt any lesson?

Now run by another failed politician, Chris Smith, (again, no title), what did he ever know about the needs of areas like Somerset, and the Thames Valley? 

Has he learned lessons?

Perhaps we should send all the buggers back to school before we let them loose on Quangoes where they have absolutely zero knowledge?

Apologies for language!

12/02/2014 at 22:01
No need to apologise Pentillie, I can see you are very frustrated and rightly so....get it off your chest I'm sure the majority will understand and those that don't don't have to listen (well read but you know what I mean!). I hope your allotment is surviving and your friends/neighbours are ok.
41 to 60 of 261 messages