21 to 28 of 28 messages
18/08/2013 at 21:50

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b6/Banana.plant.kewgardens.arp.jpg/768px-Banana.plant.kewgardens.arp.jpg

19/08/2013 at 10:03

@Diddydoit - sounds like advice for the US, where winters are colder but very dry. We have wet mild winters and that is not good for roots and while Musa may get to April alive, they will rot being left outside from root rot. Best to lift.

19/08/2013 at 11:51

I agrre with you blairs.I have all of mine in pot and have not intension's of planting them in the ground.It makesit so much easyier to bring the inside.

19/08/2013 at 16:13
Diddydoit wrote (see)

I grow a lot of cordylines from seed,and they are very easy to grow.But as blairs says they do need good drainage and do take upto10 years to look at thier best.They do look good in the boarder at 3 yrs.I tried rapping the leaves one winter,but because they could not breath they just rotted off,but did sprout the following spring.

Diddydoit wrote (see)

I agrre with you blairs.I have all of mine in pot and have not intension's of planting them in the ground.It makesit so much easyier to bring the inside.

Are you going to try and grow them inside or cut off the foliage and keep them in hibernation? The latter works better with Ensete as they naturally have a winter 'hibernation' in Ethiopia and mountains of Nepal/India/China etc.

19/08/2013 at 18:12

I brought my red tiger inside last year and it kept just two leaves on all winter,as you say it went into hybernation.Come spring it started to grow just where it left off.

The advantge was that i maintained the growth height of 5 feet.It scares me the thought of chopping off just in case i kill it.And when i have grown this banana form seed it gets my upmost attention.

20/08/2013 at 17:51

Do you know that there are over 100 different species of banana,I only have four.Looks like i have a lot of collecting to do then.

29/08/2013 at 11:07

i have just watched a dvd on farming bananas and how brutal they treat them,but i am sure they know what they are doing.

11/09/2013 at 14:52

If you purchase any banana seeds,soak them in water for at least four days  or even a week but changing the water and always use tepid water.

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages