London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
08/08/2013 at 16:23

Is there anybody growing banana plant on here if so what variety do you grow?

08/08/2013 at 19:44
Hi Dave,im thinking of having one when we move to Norfolk very soon and did a good bit of searching for info on and off the net, the results were going for a tougher plant for this country and its called Musa Basjoo,apparently Cornwall council who use them on traffic islands and around the towns (and wrap them up in winter) use them, also other councils im told use them,maybe your local council garden dept will help, they usually are very good if you get passed the person on the phone kind of thing, ok Dave good luck
Alan4711
16/08/2013 at 19:43

Hi Alan.

I managed to grow a red tiger banana and i have had id for over two years now.I live in the Northwest ( Cheshire ) I keep it in a large pot and store in my green house over the winter.I find it very difficult to grow them from seed,however the one that i have is now starting to send out side shoots,that when large enough i just slice them of with a sharp knife and pot them on.I did forget that i bough a dwarf banana this year and that also is sending side shoots off.I lived in Mexico for a while and the locals told me that to make them fruit they try to keep the plant to just four leaves.This then encourages the pland to thrust upwards and flower.

17/08/2013 at 09:20

We've had a musa basjoo for at least 10 years. We're in West Sussex.

It always used to get fleece wrapped for winter & was fine. Then for a few years we didn't bother. The top growth would die off but it would always come back, widening each year with enormous new sections all around the original.

A couple of years ago we started cutting it down to a manageable height for wrapping, this way it gets really tall again each year rather than just mid height & much wider! 

We even had a bunch of bananas grow on it one year! I'm not sure they're edible on this variety, or they didn't get big enough or ripe enough. We didn't eat them anyway.

We lost a red banana, not sure of the variety, but even wrapped it didn't survive the first winter sadly.

The leaves can look slightly tatty when it's been windy but when they first unfurl & are undamaged they look huge & amazing.

17/08/2013 at 16:11

I now have four varieties in my collection which are musa bashoo,red tiger,dwarf,and a red abasynian banana.I am taking cutting as soon as i can just too increase my chances over the winter.I have such a passion for banana,s as they can make any garden have that tropicl effect.Are there any more out there?.

KEF
17/08/2013 at 16:31

I HAD a Musa Basjoo, I was told it was the hardiest. It went into GH and survived one Winter, with fleece and regular attention that it didn't rot if it got damp and wrapped up. Nursed along okay, but in summer leaves tore in wind and it looked a mess. I tried to over winter again as I don't like to quit but a very bad winter and it died.  That's when my tree fern of 12 yrs died. That's Yorkshire for you.  But we do get rain.

David 3 If you love tropical looking / unusual things I also  HAD a Paulownia tomentosa, kept small it has leaves the size of dinner plates, brill....but alas not for my part of the country. 

17/08/2013 at 17:52

Sorry to hear of your bad experience Kef,it doe's get more windy and colder further up north.I lost my palm several years ago when it dropped to -17.It was cold last year but i got my banana through it,i just stood it without any protective fleece inside my greenhouse.the leaves do rip in the wind but if they do get too tatty just cout them off.This in turn encourages new growth to form.

17/08/2013 at 18:07

David, I've also tried to grow them from seed several times but have failed miserably!  I'm impressed even if you only managed to get one to germinate.

KEF
17/08/2013 at 18:07

Hi David 3, glad yours survive. I won't get another, I've so many new things to over winter since joining the forum that the green houses need elastic sides. Hope to see you on forum again.

17/08/2013 at 20:07

Musa basjoo is the one to go for. Ensete ventricosum v Maurelii and the plain Ensete ventricosum are reliable to come back after storing in a frost free place or with the leaves in a conservatory. They are the 3 have have. Cavendish are the Musa that we get edible bananas from but unless you have a large heated conservatory you are unlikely to get them here and they are difficult to over winter.

Ensete ventricosum, Ensete ventricosum,
17/08/2013 at 21:09

Ensette Maurelii,growing rapidly.

17/08/2013 at 22:52

Kef have a look at my seed swap forum.

17/08/2013 at 22:55

blairs how are you doing with the Abasynian ( Ensete ventricosum )?.

17/08/2013 at 23:42

@David Smith3

Fine so far (this is second summer). I cut off the leaves in late October, removed most of the soil and roots and left it on its side to drain then left in my frost free garage and kept it dry until early April. I had to remove some mould a few times, so worth looking at them over winter. It kept pushing out leaves which is a bit of a pain but shows what strong plants they are. If you have a small Ensete seedling (say less than 30cm) then I think it better to keep it at a sunny window though the light levels really are not going to keep it happy but better safe than sorry. Waking them up can be an issue after winter, but a week in a warm spot - a hot water cupboard for example, will speed things up.

Musa basjoo - first year I kept in frost free garage, this year they will be covered in straw and wrapped to keep the frost off but air around it. I do live near the sea, so it is a milder micro-climate.

18/08/2013 at 14:02

How lucky you are,it gets really cold in Cheshire.I would love an abasynian,i tried to buy a plug plan on ebay but got out bid.

18/08/2013 at 14:31

I just brought the pot into the greenhouse and did nothing else but water it.It lost all of its leaves bar one.THen in the spring it woke up and it now stands sabout 6-7 feet tall.

18/08/2013 at 20:21

They grow musa cavendishii at Chatsworth. They would, wouldn't they.

18/08/2013 at 21:12

The Cavendish banana subgroup is named after the Dwarf Cavendish cultivar within its subgroup, which is named in honour ofWilliam Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire, who acquired an early specimen, and from whose hothouses the cultivars were first developed for commercial exploitation worldwide.

18/08/2013 at 21:32

I found this and thought that it may help other on how to over winter your banana

Instructions
  • Container Grown Bananas

Cut the banana plant to the ground with sharp garden shears after the first hard frost has damaged the leaves. Your banana leaves will turn dark brown and begin to rot. Leaving these leaves on the plant will spread the rot to the roots and permanently damage your banana plant.

Move the container to a sheltered location if possible, such as an overhang or a sunny location in your garage. This will protect your banana roots from cold, especially in places with extreme winters.

Spread a thick layer of mulch over the soil in your banana plant's container. And wrap the pot in insulating material such as a tarp or bubble wrap.

Bananas Grown in Garden Beds

Cut your banana plant's leaves to the ground. Banana trees produce new leaves from the root ball so this does not harm your plant.

Spread a thick layer of organic material such as peat moss over your banana tree. This will protect the root system from freezing temperatures.

Cover the mulch with a plastic tarp to protect the banana tree's root system from fluctuating temperatures. An early thaw will saturate the peat moss and then may freeze again. The mulch may also trap any excess moisture in the ground with your banana tree roots and cause them to rot. Secure the tarp against winds with large rocks or an additional layer of mulch.

• Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7837507_winterize-banana-tree-plant.html#ixzz2cM3IIkXWh

18/08/2013 at 21:44

types of

Banana From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia     Banana
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e4/Luxor%2C_Banana_Island%2C_Banana_Tree%2C_Egypt%2C_Oct_2004.jpg/250px-Luxor%2C_Banana_Island%2C_Banana_Tree%2C_Egypt%2C_Oct_2004.jpg

Banana plant Scientific classification Kingdom: Plantae Division: Magnoliophyta Class: Liliopsida Order: Zingiberales Family: Musaceae Genus: Musa

Banana is the common name for a type of herb and also the name for the herbaceous plants that grow this herb. These plants belong to the genus Musa. They are native to the tropical region of Southeast Asia. There are about 100 different species of banana.

It is possible that bananas were grown for food for the first time in Papua New Guinea. Today, they are cultivated in the tropicalregions around the world.

Most banana plants are grown for their herbs, but some are grown as ornamental plants, or to provide fibre. In parts of Africa, beerhas been made by fermenting the juice of certain cultivars, known as beer bananas. The ash of banana can be used to makesoap. In Asia, bananas are often planted to provide shade to plants that love it, for example coffee, cocoa, nutmeg or black pepper. That way, banana plants can often be found in plantations of other crops.

The bananas from a group of cultivars with firmer, starchier fruit are called plantains. Plantains are mostly used for cooking or fibre. The bananas that are used for desserts are called dessert bananas.

banana.

1 to 20 of 28 messages