Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Golden hops plant

Hello folks

I previously grew a Golden Hop to grow over an arch, but after a few years it went mad and began sprouting up all over the lawn!!  My question is, will it grow successfully in a large tub where I can keep it under control ? 

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

When you say 'sprouting up all over the lawn' do you mean that it self seeded? If so it wouldn't matter what you grew it in if you let the seeds drop around it you would have the same problem

• I don't see why it wouldn't grow in a pot as long as you remember to feed and water it during the spring/summer. 

Fleurisa, they sprout from the roots which can travel quite a distance and are extermly difficult to cut.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

The first time I tried to cut golden hops I thought there was something wrong with the secateurs. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • I had one that "went mad" too - it was in my garden when I arrived and took me years to kill off. It is covered in tiny vicious hairs - I looked like I had been savaged by a cat when I'd been pruning it, covered in red welts.

• nikki 7nikki 7 Posts: 111

Thanks for the replies folks.  Well, I think I will try to grow it in a very large pot.  I really like the lovely bright foliage - but it does need to be kept restricted or it sprouts up everywhere!!  And yes, it does have tiny barbs on the leaves too!   Thanks again

• Hi Nikki7, I agree with you, he is quite a thug and will grow anyyyyyywhere!! I have one covering a fence in a shady corner and it really lights it up. The little birds loves the seeds and the delicate brackets are pretty. It is no different than other easy growing plants.

My other one clambers up the pergola and together with a trumpet vine, a grape vine and a passion vine gives me a lovely shady area to sit underneath and watch the little birds twittering over head. What I do do yearly is to cut away the vines in the spring, as by then the seeds are all gone too and tidies it up.