London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
14/09/2013 at 21:25

Evening all.... rained rained and rained today so lo and oh played in the garden room while I made hairy bikers lamb saag mmmmmmmm... David k search nigel slaters recipe  mmmmmmmm although I still grate the beetroot and don't purée it! Well tea cake and put the tumble drier on b4 bed for me!! Night all

14/09/2013 at 23:48
Rain held off so got loads done after all ( after OH treated me to a trip to Screwfix Live 2013 - lovely !!). Lots of deadheading so the beds now look respectable again - the asters, helianthus, gaura and anemones are strutting their stuff. Plus got some recent purchases in the ground, and another area weeded ready for some phlox that have grown much too tall for their current position. However, looks like tomorrow will be a day to stay inside . Latest mag just arrived though, so nice excuse to curl up and read.

BTW does anyone know if it. Is too late to take sedum cuttings??
15/09/2013 at 09:40

Still time for sedum cuttings.  Doing a lot at moment

15/09/2013 at 10:25
Thanks verdun - should have checked here before i posted a new thread ! Still, others might be interested in the answer.
15/09/2013 at 12:03

Verdun, Do you keep sedum cutting in the greenhouse over winter?. I always split/take irishmans cuttings in Spring. I also found three seedlings growing this year as I don't deadhead until spring.  They are now flowering in 3 inch pots. When they die down I was going to send them for the Station project.

15/09/2013 at 18:09

Evening all .... Don't care if it gets me detention ( used to that!) autumn is here.... The sweet chestnuts are falling turning the wooded part of the garden into an alien looking zone ..... Heatings on and pimms o'clock seems like a distant memory I would prefer a mug if tea now.... Craving for comfort food are kicking In gonna make a lemon drizzle cake for toddler group tomorrow. didn't know you could take sedum cuttings gonna have to try that!!!!

15/09/2013 at 18:22

You're right Stacey, it's autumn. Felt like that other word that I'm not ready for this morning. Woodstove lit for the first time this season and OH has a sore throat, headache and s..t

We went out to an amazing Eastern Angles theatre production in a tent a couple of nights ago, he reckons he got it from the bod in the next row back. My turn next?

15/09/2013 at 18:51

PMA Stacey,us girls don't have time for the likes of bugs n germs. Failing that Echinacea ( in a bottle not thegarden)

15/09/2013 at 19:01

Yes think it is time for echinecea fizz.... Isn't it funny how men succumb... I had brain surgery and was in bed for 4 days after he gets a cold and stays in bed 6 days and mopes on the 7th!!!! Lol

15/09/2013 at 19:08

Evening all.

Weather was lovely yesterday, had a nice walk in Eastbourne. Today windy and rain- still managed to get all my school work done so can now relax.

I still haven't got my bulbs planted so hope to get the chance one afternoon this week when I get home.

Have a good evening all

15/09/2013 at 19:09

Nut, sorry to hear your OH is poorly - wish him well from both us us 

We have fantastic sweet chestnuts in the grounds at work - this'll be my last year of gathering some - unless they give me special dispensation to scrump in my retirement 

15/09/2013 at 19:12

Have sore arms from my hard work today, but they are a good sore 

Finshed planting all my plants, and kept the labels so I should remember what they all are! Funny, I can remember as a girl asking my mum when I would know all the names for plants (I was always impressed that she did) and now I am learning 

Planted one you might like Stacey, a Fuchsia called Hawkshead. It will have a lovely white/v pale lilac flower.  As you seem to have a love of all white flowers you might like this one 

15/09/2013 at 19:44

Thanks Dove, I'll pass that on

15/09/2013 at 19:54

I've not always been a fuchsia fan, but Hawkshead and other similar hardy small flowered varieties have crept into my heart 

15/09/2013 at 19:56

Sorry, I got the wrong OH, nut's not Stacey's.

Panda, you'll prob never know as many names of plants as you'd like, they keep changing and more introduced, im always having to look them up now but when I started 20 odd years ago I thought I knew them all , turned out to be just the ones I bought that I knew !

Does make me think - I've always had and loved a garden and growing things. Now im learning how to do it and caring about the results so much more. Its the first time I've had a permanent feeling about a garden. Previously I knew id move on. Now is also the right time as kids growing and footballs are better aimed.

15/09/2013 at 19:59

I love all fuchsias Dove, (planted 3 new hardy ones this weekend, bringing my total to 6), but definitely prefer the smaller ones. My hanging basket has some very big froo-froo ones, with enormous flowers. Not sure I like them as much. 

15/09/2013 at 20:00

Youre right about knowing plant names Mrs G. Just a glance inside RHS Plantfinder shows pages of plants I don't know

15/09/2013 at 20:07

To be fair, I think my mum only knew the ones in her garden too Mrs G  If I can manage that I will be happy 

15/09/2013 at 20:24

Fidget, I've done some sedum cuttings today....in polythene bag.9 cm pot and in conservatory behind larger plants....for shade.

Fuschias aren't my fav plant.   Like genii for its yellow foliage and grow some in pots.  They grow,everywhere here....familiarity breeding contempt?  

Rained mid day until late afternoon but then dried up with some sun.  My local GC manager rang me to say he had a couple of nice heleniums I might like so I will take a look tomorrow.  Maybe he's feeling guilty cos he can't get plant I've been after for a while(?)

Every year it's a increasing problem where I will overwinter new plants and tender perennials.  Last year I erected a temporary but small polytunnel to house them.  Got more this year already.....

15/09/2013 at 21:31

Evening all. 

Many thanks to Fidgetbones for offer of donation to the station.  Have just visited - late night visit - to check everything ok.  Garden looking good after rain today, deciding where to put the paint which will have to wait for dry weather to be done. 

Can you take cuttings of euphorbia? have that up station want more.