London (change)
Thu 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 17°C
18/09/2013 at 20:42

Well, nearly there.  2 days 

18/09/2013 at 20:43

Chicky, im even more excited now. Is yours flowering now? The label and website said late summer/aut. Oh I do hope its properly labelled and its not a pink one ( not that there's anything wrong with pink).

No chance of sofa and sleep for me yet.

18/09/2013 at 20:51

Mrs G - its not flowering now - it starts mid July and goes on for a few weeks - so a distant memory now !  Sorry, haven't got pictures - it is a sort of pink, but a bright magenta type (bit like the bright pink cosmos) rather than baby pink.  That suits me, coz I like pink (having two little girls got me indoctrinated!).

Panda - you are self aware, and trying to take steps to help make things easier - that is a really important thing, and you should be proud.  I know what you mean about weekends - but even having a walk outside at lunchtime can sometimes help break a day up.  I have found being a gardener makes me far more aware and appreciative of outside - you notice things that other people simply walk by, or don't hear. 

18/09/2013 at 20:53

Actually not asleep, but having a running battle with Local MP over future of rural post offices, against the background of the privatisation of Royal Mail.

1. Sent email to register my opposition to the privatisation and my fears about local post offices.

2 As expected got standard answer, probably produced by Central Office and sent to everyone complaining. No mention of post offices.

3. Sent new email asking for specific response to my post office Qs

4. reply "noted" my email.

5. Sent third email stating I wasn't surprised at the first "standard" response but I was very unhappy that my post office point reained unanswered ( I am involved with the village PO which runs at a loss, only subsidised by the regular shop business... over the years we have lost pensions, TV liceneces and Road Fund licences).

6. Reply mistakenly claimed I had suggested PO was for sale as is RM. Also sent copy of article in local paper about PO. Still no attempt to answer my specific Qs

7. Sent further email detailing the challenge for rural POs and reminding him that he is MP for a largely rural constituency and asked what specifically is he going to do about this problem?

so far silence, perhaps I have struck a chord. So far "off" and "fobbed" come to mind, so why should I not persist for a bit longer?

18/09/2013 at 21:27

Panda thoughts are with you. You have made the most important step and the biggest all the others are easier now. Gardening helped me recover from my surgery in November it was about the only thing I could do. Mulchsnow with snow falling still one of my fave moments this year.... 

The moon is spectacular tonight but its going to be a cold one.I think we may have a cold one this year... Right zzzzz time for me gonna dream of verds tracked parcel!!! Lmao night all ....

18/09/2013 at 21:32

keep persisting Woodgreen. Apathy gets us no where. Post Offices are important things, even in towns and cities. I live in one of the newest cities in the Uk and our PO is in WHSmiths! 

18/09/2013 at 21:36

Ooo, and I've accidentally ordered the 100 free Alium bulbs GW offer from T&M! Bet I can't track the order though 

Best not tell OH as he thinks I have enough to plant already (only 135, which, from others on the forum, I realise is not many at all!!)

thanks to all for your kind comments x It means a lot to know that you all care x

18/09/2013 at 21:39
4thPanda wrote (see)

Ooo, and I've accidentally ordered the 100 free Alium bulbs GW offer from T&M! Bet I can't track the order though 

Best not tell OH as he thinks I have enough to plant already (only 135, which, from others on the forum, I realise is not many at all!!)

I think you can have a few more yet 4thPanda. 135 won't go far

18/09/2013 at 21:41

I might quote you on that Nut! 

18/09/2013 at 21:46

Feel free to mention my name 4thPanda

18/09/2013 at 22:09

Evening all. We got back from England last night after a long, wet and windy drive and Venice a few days before. We had a great time in Venice and a good few days in England. Cold, wet and windy back in Dordogne, garden looks a bit battered and almost over apart from some Michaelmas daisies.

Must go shopping tomorrow and friends are coming to stay tomorrow afternoon for a week so I won't have much time to chat here. Haven't read anything yet, had big problems with internet connection in Eastbourne so am behind with emails etc.

18/09/2013 at 22:13

Hi Lizzie - must be nice to be home.  Did you enjoy Sussex Prairies ??

18/09/2013 at 23:22

Hi Chicky. Sussex Prairies were lovely, despite the wind and rain. Here's a pic, will put some more on the Gardens We Have Visited thread - if I can find it!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31269.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

19/09/2013 at 06:13

Sometimes you can have too many bulbs. Last year I wanted about 50 Allium giganteum. 75 cost twice as much as 25, so I had 75.

Then it rained and rained so I couldn't get them in the clayey soil, so I potted each in a 3in pot. I eventually gave some away and finally planted most of them after Easter.

Then the ox eye daisies grew to 5 ft and smothered them. My plan of purple pompoms over a sea of white daisies didn't quite work.

19/09/2013 at 06:23

Sounds lovely though fidget!

19/09/2013 at 06:30

The red tulips above forgetmenots worked better.

19/09/2013 at 18:42

Damp this morning but a glorious afternoon n evening.  Really warm.  Got large bare root wallflowers today and planted them in my veg garden where they will prob double in size over the next 6 weeks. Then plant where my tender perennials were.  Don't like lots of tiny wallflowers dotted about or even planted together....large plants make a better impression.  Ar flowering time wallflowers are at least 60 cm high and even more in width. 

Oh, good evening FORKERS.  We have a mini heatwave a'coming...started here.

19/09/2013 at 19:04

Evening parcel man I mean verdun.... Yeah so I understand its supposed to be nice this weekend.... I could do with another few days for my chillies to ripen... Just been and had a look at the seeds from seed swap.. All my foxgloves are doing well and it even looks like I have some astrantia germinating hurrah although still no sign of the thalictrum, but do t expect them ( if any) till spring .... Think I heave weeds germinating in some pots even with gravel I certainly would t expect my hellebore seeds to be germinating guess I will have to wait for some true leaves.... Laters peeps

19/09/2013 at 19:12

Chillies are,ripening fast .....with some warm autumn sunshine and temps not falling too much yours should ripen quickly too,Stacey.  Had some yesterday and they were hoooooooot.

19/09/2013 at 19:17

Yeah my black riot have virtually all ripened and are hot, my cherry bombs are the size of golf balls and almost all are going black so almost there it's my scotch bonnets that need a bit more and I have stunted the morich naga ( currently hottest in the world) so I can over winter it as it needs a longer season ( or greenhouse!) verdun I should send you some of my chipotle chilli sauce yum yum