London (change)
Thu 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
04/10/2013 at 23:00

Has anyone else got the snow plough advert coming up?

04/10/2013 at 23:18

Yes,,that situation seems fine to me.  Soil has to be good though, capable of holding,some moisture

04/10/2013 at 23:34

No snow plough for me fidget - well, not yet anyway!

05/10/2013 at 00:23

Think I should go to bed, just woken up on the sofa, now have pins and needles in my hand. Must have been asleep for at least an hr. Well at least its now the wkend, lets hope the sun shines nite nite all

05/10/2013 at 18:48

What a busy day! We worked really hard but we finished the base for shed. Ache all over but now settling down awaiting my Chinese take away!  May go mad and have a glass or two of wine. Look forward to cake tomorrow dove  

05/10/2013 at 18:57

Still picking courgettes. I thought last week would be it. The veg plot is looking really tatty now,except for sarpo mira and axona tattys which are still growing. On the good side, I have bought very few fruit and veg except bananas for months now.

More money for wine and chocolates

05/10/2013 at 19:04

Eeerrrreggggghhhhh day in pjs today feel rotten I'm blaming it on the computer lol.... Gotta work tomorrow night ( sky news crew are apparently following us!) so best I get better soon!!!

05/10/2013 at 19:08

Well done Star Gaze! Def Chinese and wine as a reward, I have a new wok so am cooking tonight 

Fidget, what else is there to spend your veg savings on?

So the bulb plant has begun. . . discovered that I need more Daffs for the lawn. Loved using the bulb planter - my friend loved thumping the divots back in  

Question for those planting bulbs in pots, do you put plants on top of the bulbs?

05/10/2013 at 19:10

Pudding sounds yummy dove can you use your gadget to lob some my way?

05/10/2013 at 19:12

Stacey - have I missed something? Sky news?

05/10/2013 at 19:13

Oops sorry, hope you and others feel better soon.

05/10/2013 at 19:16

mrs g my "firm" is changing its name tomorrow and is wanting the world to know about it whereas b4 we have been very hush hush.....

05/10/2013 at 19:23

Thats a good question 4thpanda, would it depend on what plants otherwise they may get a bit crowded

05/10/2013 at 19:29

Yep, layer your bulbs to make a bulb lasagne

05/10/2013 at 19:34

I am concerned Star Gaze. Mrs G, I have layered Alliums, tulips and crocus (I just couldn't wait anymore) They should all come up one after the other but am not sure if I should leave the pots with bare earth or cover with flowers, maybe pansies or violas? 

05/10/2013 at 19:35

Stacey, hope you are well enough for your big day! 

05/10/2013 at 19:41

Doesn't taste very good though MrsG 

Horse flavoured is better!

I wouldn't put anything on top of bulbs but that's just me! Depends on the look you want though. If it's a big pot then you might want to add something like winter flowering pansies but you have to be carefull you don't prevent the bulbs coming through so nothing too dense. That's the reason for layering.  I just cover mine with grit and tuck them away till they're ready to start flowering and I only use one type of bulb in pots, I never layer. With big display pots it's better to make up several different containers with a succession of bulbs then you can take one out when it's finished and put in another. Saves taking compost out etc. 

Oh- evening all! 

05/10/2013 at 19:42

Yes pansies are a good idea, then when they have finished your bulbs will be coming through.

05/10/2013 at 19:49

Evening all

Just finished watching on iplayer Monty and the last of his programmes really interesting this one enjoyed it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Around%20the%20World%20in%2080%20Gardens

Well the garden waste bin was emptyed yesterday so needed filling and now full still lots of bits from pampus grass - but have to wait 2 weeks for it to be emptyed and still lots to clear out of garden, have fed lawn with autumn food and watered in hope it does what it says

Had a small trip to local garden nursery got one plant for my half hanging basket, and brought 2 small baskets ready for Hillier workshop in a week and a bit

4thPanda I put plants on the top of bulbs in pots, things like violas/pansy and grasses and heukras - can't spell it. coloured heathers would be good and lots of other plants that don't get to big  

05/10/2013 at 20:00

My regret FG, not to be made next year - mixed bulb pots. Layered all sorts , cant remember if they flower at different or same times.

Lots of jobs done today. manureing, potting, planning, cutting, pruning, head shaking.

gotta go