London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
21 to 40 of 4,248 messages
05/04/2013 at 23:40
Wood green I too have a hankering to grow alpines. Maybe we will see you on GW poking your tongue out at Monty,!! Maybe you I'll get another opportunity to see the alpine house
05/04/2013 at 23:58

In a very amateur way I am trying to grow some alpines in pots plunged in sand trays as at Wisley in my new greenhouse/Alpine house. They look good, and have joined the local Alpine soc. (Lovely people) Something to do and see in poor weather we have been "enjoying" Not. 

Bought 5 new saxifrages at Wisley..less than £10. that's part of the beauty of alpines..everything is on a small scale.

Presumably this thread has to end at midnight? Will I be the last? I doubt it.

06/04/2013 at 00:02

Evening Forkers... it will soon be morning! What a good idea Brumbull to start this thread.  Just like to say to GG sorry for your loss, sincere condolences.

Today, I have taken a chance and removed the fleece covers from tender plants in the garden.  Some of them were looking a little creased up but hopefully will raise their heads soon, it seems we are in for some well needed rain next week, the soil is drying out in my garden and I have even watered some pots, in the morning though as it has been freezing at night.  Going to cut the grass tomorrow, its looking very tatty, and then give it a feed and weed dressing.  Must not be too heavy handed as I dont want to burn the grass.  Also trim the edges around the borders if I have some energy left. 

06/04/2013 at 00:09
I'm so glad I looked again at the forum.
Gardening grandma I too am sorry at the loss of your friend. Four funerals is way too much in such a short time. I've been so full of this lurgy and self pity that I didn't take your post in properly ..or anything today really, but that's no excuse.
I find your posts encouraging and kind. Kindest wishes to you
06/04/2013 at 00:24

Now, which thread should I be on, goodmorning forkers, or this one. Decisions, decisions.

Just realised Verdun, you are a night owl too.

Night all.

06/04/2013 at 02:32
Only cos Ive the lurgy that's keeping me awake Tina. Supposed to be busy Tom morn
06/04/2013 at 04:02

Good morning all just up at this time as going to drop my daughter & her pals off at the airport in Glasgow their going to Magaluf for a hen weekend back on Monday night oh to be young again.

06/04/2013 at 06:33

Hm, 6am????  Wrong thread .....................

06/04/2013 at 07:05
Dove...you is confused. Ha ha
06/04/2013 at 10:09

If you post here between the hours of Midnight to 4am do you turn into a pumpkin?

06/04/2013 at 18:01

Brum- I usually fall asleep on the settee!!

in fact even when I've done nothing....

06/04/2013 at 18:05
Treated the decking......been a mare! Having a beer or ten.......watching the flowers grow! Been a long winter, but it's going to be a great summer with my new greenhouse
06/04/2013 at 18:13

Oooh it's been luuuuuuuuuverly !!!  OH came home half way through the afternoon and said I had a big grin from ear to ear.

I've spent most of the day out in the garden, digging and raking the veg patch and planting the strawberries (Mara Bois  as recommended by Mr Don), and I've scrubbed out the bird bath, and mainly wandered around looking at things with a grin on my face.

I sat out on the terrace with a cuppa in the sunshine and watched the birds - a female blackbird getting a beakful of little worms and flying off into the neighbour's hedge - she must have some eggs that have hatched .  The goldfinches and chaffinches in the ashtrees were singing away and the tits were darting about looking busy.  It's been an absolutely bdooly gorgeous day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06/04/2013 at 18:16

Evening.  Had a nice few hours in the garden, with rests in between.  Only thing spoiling it was when I sat in my garden seat, there was this bloody great motor bike obscuring my view of the garden.  Boys toys and all that.  Managed to get one whole border weeded and sort of turned, but arm decided to cause a problem, so just sat down instead.  Hopefully tomorrow's another day.

Hope everyone has enjoyed this first lovely day.

06/04/2013 at 18:20

Can I suggest the old fashioned trailing nasturtiums  TT - planted in pots around it, they'll scramble over it and hide it quickly, and you can use the leaves in sandwiches and pickle the seeds as capers 

06/04/2013 at 18:33

Lovely day. Bit cool in the breeze so stayed out of it. Finally potted on some aquilegias that germinated last autumn. One of those fresh seed, 3 day germinations, supposed to germinate in spring in my plan. They were getting a bit starved. Then started the big prick out of the ones that obeyed the rules and germinated in spring. Down to the GC tomorrow for some more seed compost to start the next round.. Feel better now. It's either the gardening or the wine. Who cares which? not me after the first glass

06/04/2013 at 18:46

Great weather and got a lot done.

The 72 bedding plugs which arrived this morning turned into well over 100 when potted-on into modules as many of them had more than one plant so I separated those which would easily come apart. The tomatoes which came up earlier this week spent the day in the GH and look really healthy, with he sungold now showing true leaves - I'll bring 'em indoors tonight though.  Also got a cheap rhubarb from wilko, so that's gone in the ground today, too.

06/04/2013 at 18:47

All I needed was a bit of sun and a day in the Crystal Palace (GH) and the glass of wine of course.

06/04/2013 at 18:50

Dove, I don't think son would be too thrilled about that.  Been trying to think where he could put it when he's not out on it. Will be pickling something if it's not soon shifted.  We did have a garage, but I had it converted into a pond. 

06/04/2013 at 18:50

I hope the weather carries on being nice as we are going to England on Tuesday. Cold and windy, grey sky here today 6°. Been digging and manuring my new bed. Potted up 30 penstemon Beloved Bells and 20 pelargoniums in GH.

21 to 40 of 4,248 messages