London (change)
Today 18°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
09/05/2013 at 21:52

Hollie - they soon bulk up though.  Not sure quite what I will do with 48 oriental poppies - but somehow it seemed too good a bargain to resist !

09/05/2013 at 21:55

Never been much of a one for shoes and handbags - but have finally found my shopping gene when it comes to plants.

OH pointed to a new plant in the garden at the weekend - and asked where it had come from.  I found myself blurting out - "what, that old thing - I've had it years !!"

I'm sure I should be doing that with clothes - not flowers.  Hey, ho ....

09/05/2013 at 21:58

That looks a nice plant chicky, we will get to watch the Malvern show from GW TV show tomorrow night - think I will enjoy just watching on TV as weather is not nice and me getting a bit of a cold not nice

Compost bin was on offer when we had to buy the garden waste wheelie bin that is now used here so 3rd compost bin 2 larger ones and the wormery- still trying to get the hang of that. Matty those compost bin do work well

Have not tried a video on camera yet but just with my photos and using software which is mp4 but computer not let me upload it does not like mp4 files

Here's another picture of the compost bin, Hollie hock you do not need that much space for them

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23320.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

09/05/2013 at 22:42

Garden spending is so much more fun chicky. 

I could easily make room for another. Are you just starting new compost in each  or are you moving it between the bins?

09/05/2013 at 22:58

Both compost bins full so starting new in each should empty one into the other but don't really do that

Night all think bed for me

09/05/2013 at 23:43

Hello all and welcome Rosie. I've arrived a bit late. OH was singing in a concert with his choir so I went to watch and there was a supper afterwards. I was invited, well I had made 2 cakes for it.

Rosie, if you ask the right questions (the ones I know the answers to!) I may be able to answer! I've been gardening for around 40 years but been in Dordogne over half that time, so don't ask me when the last frost is!

09/05/2013 at 23:44

Did no gardening today, rained. A boring snippet for you all

10/05/2013 at 00:08

Lovely day for a potter today, the wind was gentle & the sun shone most of the day.

I deadheaded daffies & cut back dead bits from winter which I'd missed & found all sorts of weeds......   Took me ages to separate a small berberis from a large clump of grass (in a pot). I ended up taking it out & soaking the roots then teasing them apart with an old kitchen fork.  

Dug up an orangey & yellow primula which had seeded itself in the front lawn   Mower Man had carefully cut round it a few days ago when he did the 1st cut.

Spread some weed & feed over the front grass & the back until it ran out.

10/05/2013 at 00:14

garden girl you can upload video to youtube and link it here.

10/05/2013 at 19:39

Hi everyone... following my visit to Malvern I started a new thread about the need to encourage children to take up gardening. At about the same time somone else started a thread about woodlice. So far children have elicited 1 response and woodlice 8 !!!

No wonder Gardeners World shows no interest in the next generation.

10/05/2013 at 19:49

Hiya woodgreen

That is surprising...mind you I replied on the wood lice thread too.

You sound like a nice guy 

Evening everybody.  It's been a mixture of a day.  Warmish though.  

10/05/2013 at 20:04

I went to B&Q for grow bags. hadn't got any

Not done much again, and nothing to report

10/05/2013 at 21:20

Thank you all for the welcome yesterday my laptop died on me . I am from north east Scotland  I planted lots of mixed sweet peas to climb a bare part of a ugly fence . picked up a shuttlecock fern in homebase bargain shelf very pot bound its been raining all evening it looks fantastic now. I always have a look at casualty shelves in garden centres I've picked up bargains 

KEF
10/05/2013 at 21:28

Hi Woodgreen, I struggle to keep up with all new links but good on you for encouraging children. My gardening memories go back to my Dad and his mate in their shared allotment and even though I don't grow cabbages bet I can still make a good root fly collar. The first time I touched the inside of a broad bean pod was amazing. Give us a bit of time I'm sure posts will appear.

10/05/2013 at 21:41

No gardening here, but a lovely day trailing around the charity shops and picked up a lot of books at 50p each or 3 for a £1. Hardbacks included

I always have a look at the rescue corner Rosie, there's a lot bargains to be found

10/05/2013 at 21:43

Hi everyone.  Just popping in quickly before I slump on the sofa.

Just watched GW - delighted to learn that if I chop my viola's back in July they will come back strongly next year (never grown viola's before, and thought they might end up being the sort of bedding plant that is discarded after a season).  One of mine is the yesterday, today and tomorrow one they featured - was very excited to see it on a screen (note to self: must get out more).

Also loved the primrose sieboldii - one for next year maybe.

Have a great weekend all

KEF
10/05/2013 at 21:51

Night night from me..tired out posting things on forum..LOL

Happy weekend all.

10/05/2013 at 21:59

Thanks to everyone for rallying around on the Young Gardener's post. We currently have a draw as we go into extra time... it's School chidren 8  Woodlice 8. A real victory would come from a response from GW, but I don't have high hopes of that. When you work for the BBC you have to have your "sorry" bone removed.

10/05/2013 at 22:04

Evening. Tina I think it's a mixture of lazyness and the medication I'm on. How are your toes looking?

I'm another one who goes straight to the cut price corner seeing what I can save.

Matty the Malvern show looked lovely on GW tonight I do hope youmanage to get there and feel well enough to really enjoy yourself.

Chicky I shall be chopping my violas as well, but mine are not those shown on GW.

KEF I can't keep up wi5th all the new posts which is why I'm so pleased the e mail notifications are back.

Well I'm really tired now so think it won't be long before I'm asleep.

Hope everyone has nice plans for the weekend.

10/05/2013 at 22:35

Hello folks - we've been out for a meal - we're home now and very stuffed and very tired - sleep tight everyone - see you tomorrow