London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
25/05/2013 at 20:19

Evening, Verd. It was a lovely day here today, so I'm hoping their growth spurt has started.

BL, that's a gorgeous photo. Does it mean you are in the uk?

Hope WW had a good day at Chelsea.

I tidied up the garden this afternoon, to impress my visitors. Took me six hours!! Looks lovely. I wonder how long it will take me to ruin it.

25/05/2013 at 20:50

Noticed that several people have mentioned tidying up garden for visitors.........

I think it would be a good idea to .......

1..........only invite visitors who are keen gardeners

2.........are willing to help out with a few small gardening tasks

3.........help out with one big gardening project

4.........cut the grass    

25/05/2013 at 21:13

I've just discovered four little tomatoes on my plants- weren't there yesterday! 

25/05/2013 at 21:14

Thanks bizliz for the lovely pic. of Waterperry; just my sort of garden and will return definitely soon.

Chelsea was very good considering it was at the end of long week and loads of rain yesterday. The ladies will be pleased that Chris Beardshaw's Garden was definitely the best, and has won the "People's" award. While we were there a mad Australian went for a swim in the bilabong on the Fleming's Garden. They will be missed.

As to the very small gardens some of the judging decisions were perverse with brilliant gardens getting Silvers and a highly dodgy Gold award alongside. Lots of deserved Golds in the Pavilion.

Only purchase at the big sell off was 6 pleionies for my alpine collection. I shall make them up into a pan display, pehaps with a small pebble or two.

25/05/2013 at 21:17

Tomatoes Fairygirl.............now they have definately had a helping hand from your wand!

25/05/2013 at 21:19
GillyL wrote (see)

Noticed that several people have mentioned tidying up garden for visitors.........

I think it would be a good idea to .......

1..........only invite visitors who are keen gardeners

2.........are willing to help out with a few small gardening tasks

3.........help out with one big gardening project

4.........cut the grass    

Good idea gilly. Years ago, when we first moved here, we'd invite our sons and their mates to 'garden parties'. We provided the food and the booze and they provided the muscle.

25/05/2013 at 21:22

Like the sound of that idea nutcutlet,trust the booze was served after the gardening

25/05/2013 at 21:24

Most of it was gilly with the odd small bottle of lager at lunch time.

25/05/2013 at 21:36

Went to Waterperry a few years ago, purely by chance, beautiful.

25/05/2013 at 22:03

Just had a phone call from my son, who's travelling up to the Lakes, and this afternoon they stopped at the National Arboretum - he absolutely loved the place - and he's a total non-gardener! There's hope yet!

25/05/2013 at 22:19

Pentillie it's a start he's looking now for the hard bit to get him doing the work in the garden but if like me you enjoy doing it yourself.

25/05/2013 at 22:28

Wow what a busy day! We had a skip delivered yesterday and have been wheelbarrowing rubble etc back and forth and regaining garden that was taken over when we had our building work done. Also this area of garden was 'let go' by the previous owners and we are gradually turning it over to our vegetable area, lots of weeds and waste rubbish is being hauled into the skip too. We have left over stone from the build which I've also been moving from one area to another. W ant to keep it to build some cold frames at a later date. 

Hoping to plant out my beans tomorrow but have to go to GC first thing to buy some bamboo screening as the old lot has rotted away and the dog keeps escaping!

Catch up tomorrow, happy gardening 

25/05/2013 at 22:50

Well done, Woo2. It is very satisfying sorting out the garden though, isn't it?

I've had tendonitis this week and decided to have a soak in the bath to try to relax my muscles and tendons. Was expecting the family at around 11pm, so got in the bath at around 9. I was lying there, warm and comfortable, when I heard brakes and car doors slamming and then familiar voices. The whole family let themselves in. I leapt out of the bath (well, not quite!) and had to greet them wearing a bathtowel and a very tousled hairstyle and receive a bouquet of flowers like the queen at Chelsea, with my modesty barely covered. They thought it was very funny; not sure I did.   Now it is nearly eleven, my hair is still artistically tousled, they're in bed and I still have to tong my hair and glue it down (with hairspray) or I'll look like a haystack in the morning. Maybe I'll opt for the haystack look...

25/05/2013 at 22:53

GG, I'm not in England, that was from a previous trip - too many flowers out in that photo for now! With the awful weather.

WW glad you enjoyed it, good thing you went today, not yesterday (rain). I saw Chelsea on TV tonight and Chris B's garden was my favourite too. They showed the mad Australian jumping in the pool!

25/05/2013 at 23:04

Evening all

Thanks Verdun you said it would be sunny  - maybe you sent it my way, Fairygirl I enjoyed that bit cake today, still do feel ill but managed to do 1 of my hanging baskets today but did take my time

WW nice to go to Chelsea and come back with some plants

Woo2 you have been busy

Night all

25/05/2013 at 23:12

Night Ggirl- glad you're a bit better

I'm off too. Night all 

25/05/2013 at 23:15

Of course, BL. Silly of me. Hope your weather is iimproving.

Off to bed now with haystack hair. Goodnight, all.

25/05/2013 at 23:24

Thank you GG and Gardeninggirl

Hope you have less aches and pains tomorrow GG, enjoy your visitors!

Gardeninggirl, sorry to hear you're into well, take it easy

25/05/2013 at 23:30

Goodnight all. Expecting pic of GG's hair in the morning!

26/05/2013 at 01:11

Oops sorry garden girl for mistake in 'name'