London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
18/06/2013 at 19:44

Perhaps Fairygirl could wave her wand and wish a nasty spell on her

18/06/2013 at 19:57

Something weird going on here tonight because my post should have followed Verduns. Could be FG with that wand of hers.

Outside painting Kef. 8ft wall. But having done that, it made the house wall look drab, so I did one bit of that too, plus myself. I will just do it bit by bit. 

Bev, I'm glad you stood your ground. You stay put until it suits you to do otherwise. Don't be intimidated.  You just let her know that you will get your gang onto her if she upsets you any more.  You'll be OK once you get back into the swing of things. 

18/06/2013 at 20:01

What colour are you Tina?is that a new look,co-ordinating yourself with house and wall

KEF
18/06/2013 at 20:14

Tina, that's a high wall for a shrimp. If you're not careful you'll be painting the entire outside. Glad you felt up to it.

Not done much at all in our garden, too tired when got home, but did manage to eat salad that was our lettuces, spring onions, radishes, rocket and 1/2 a mini cucumber( too slow to scoff in secret hubby saw it )..so wanting tasty toms. Messing on here and then I must finish my book, I've been at it weeks.

Tomoz supposed to be another lovely day so up and at it early..

18/06/2013 at 20:27

Spots and splodges of cream.  Not very interesting. Was contemplating getting something a lot bolder, but had a rethink as I remember doing that in my kitchen once and within a couple of weeks, I hated the new colour scheme. Have to perch perilously on the steps.  Am only going to paint so far up the house wall as son said he will finish it when he gets back from Finland. So you know what that means don't you, this time next year I will still have a two toned wall.  Full of eastern promise, my son.

18/06/2013 at 20:42

Well done Bev

Tina..painting sounds good.  Did some myself hour or so ago too.  Bet mine is better than yours..............lol

Thinking about punkdoc's post about volunteering I had chance  to help someone at the foodbank today.  He is an epileptic and lost his confidence.  All he wanted was for someone to LISTEN to him.  People just dont do that anymore do they?   To allow someone to,speak is so empowering for him/her.....well, for all of us really. Punkedical medical  skills would have been ideal today but showing empathy and concern is pretty good "medicine" I think

18/06/2013 at 20:44

Well done Bev

Tina..painting sounds good.  Did some myself hour or so ago too.  Bet mine is better than yours..............lol

Thinking about punkdoc's post about volunteering I had chance  to help someone at the foodbank today.  He is an epileptic and lost his confidence.  All he wanted was for someone to LISTEN to him.  People just dont do that anymore do they?   To allow someone to,speak is so empowering for him/her.....well, for all of us really. Punkdoc's  medical  skills would have been ideal today but showing empathy and concern is pretty good "medicine" I think.  

18/06/2013 at 20:45

Oops!  Posted twice.  ...I'll get my coat

18/06/2013 at 20:53

Evening all. Had a busy day and disaster re the fence so really p****d off. Apparently they don't do 4.8m planks, never have done - even though that's what's on their website, that's what I ordered and that's what's on the delivery note. And the guy told me they only had 7 in stock and would have to send the rest later, to which I said 'that's fine won't need them all right away anyway'.

And I've already dug 4 of the holes and put the posts in.....

Wouldn't have been quite so bad if the person I spoke to yesterday had bothered to phone back as he said he would, because daughter and me wouldn't have put 2 of the posts in and we could have started moving the 2 we did on Sunday. I'm really, really not amused.

Bev- well done. I'll wave my wand and send a plague of frogs on her 

after I've sent fire, flood and locusts to the B's Merchant.....

18/06/2013 at 20:54

Verdun, too many onions. 

To be able to listen without criticising or advising is all that most people, when they have reached rock bottom, need. Talking about problems can be very self-healing.  I'm so pleased you were able to do that today Verdun. 

You're probably right about the painting Verd. One wall is perfect, the other I can see where I missed bits. It's difficult when you're painting with the same colour that's already there.  Will try harder.

Oh dear FG.  Not good news at all. Think your wand needs trading in. Where do you go from here? I know I'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but have you tried online. Shall I get my coat?

18/06/2013 at 21:00

Hello folks   

Well done those volunteers   I Used to volunteer at a youth club for severely disabled young people - great fun and totally exhausting   I don't do it any more - I just got too tired. 

18/06/2013 at 21:31

Evening Dove- hope you had a better day at work 

Did you use a roller Tina? Wall painting's hard work  - know what you mean about missing bits - it's easy to do. It's only when you stand back you see them!

Resigned myself to moving the posts. Fortunately I can cut them off at the base as they're longer than I need but it means more holes to dig and more concrete, not to mention the wasted time. The woman wasn't even very apologetic. I'll probably need more cement now too. Just as well we hadn't done all of them before I got the wood.

Verd - you're so right. My friend cleans for an older woman and it's the company that she enjoys more than anything. She sometimes takes her to the shops and that sort of thing as well. My friend feels guilty taking money for doing so little - as she sees it - but I keep reassuring her that the social aspect is so important to that woman and therefore she's doing a huge amount. She often gives my friend a hug when she goes.  What's really sad is that her daughter lives along the road and hardly visits her.

18/06/2013 at 21:33

Thank you all for your kindness.

I am going to have a lovely day tomorrow as I'm meeting Busy Lizzie at my local GC. So that is something nice to look forward to.

Tina you are right about people just needing someone to talk to. It is too easy to interupt someone who is speaking when all they actually want is for you to listen.

Fairy you must be really cross about the wood

KEF your salad sounds lovely- shame you had to share the cucumber

Gilly- from what I know I would prefer Fairygirl to keep her wand to herself

Well I had better start getting up earlier- oh dear

18/06/2013 at 21:51

Bev-  Gilly's right - since my wand's a bit duff just now perhaps witchy woman will get the fire ,flood and locusts instead!   

Hope you enjoy tomorrow and eat loads of cake

Daughter made cake today as she's doing 'Hospitality' (cooking...) this year at school. A very nice little Victoria sponge. She let us all have a bit but kept most of it to scoff herself  the greedy little piggy..... getting like you Verdi...

18/06/2013 at 21:54

Bev well done - sounds like my old head - only she won with me. But that was another life. another world and another town  Really hope you get on OK

FG what can I say. such hard work. Words fail me - their error (web site) can you get some concrete mix out of them for their mistake and lack of confrontation

Now I can drive have thought of doing some volunteering, wish OH would, get him out of the house.

18/06/2013 at 22:14

Couldn't you volunteer him Matty. 

Bev, what am I going to do?  Can always rely on you being around when I get up and now you will be up and out when I'm turning over.

Didn't have a tray FG. I think, however, that it might not have worked so well as I needed to 'stipple' the brush into some of the bricks which are a bit moth eaten. The wall was built with a lot of old bricks from an inner wall we knocked down.  Looks OK once covered.

Son and Grandson both did cookery at school and it was grandson's 'fun' GCSE.  He prepared, then cooked his food and the teacher took a photo. Was told that they always knew which plate of food was his as it was bigger than anyone else's. Another piggy.

18/06/2013 at 22:22

Tina it's not long 'till summer hols, so I'll join you again then- and I have to next Wednesday anyway

Funny as I thought of saying exactly the same to Matty about volenteering her OH.

Well I'm going to sleep now. Night all

18/06/2013 at 22:39

FG  work is 'interesting' at the moment - we had a poor Ofsted and important heads may roll .  I'll have to watch the press and tv news as I'm away at son and daughter in law's for a couple of days. 

18/06/2013 at 22:39

Night Bev. You'll sleep better tonight than last night I expect 

Matty - I can't be bothered with yet another phone call. I had to phone them back today and the order was originally done by phone cos the website didn't work   All the info I got was verbal and no mention made of the size not existing since he said he only had 7 that length and the rest would be sent later. You couldn't make it up! I've come to realise customer service just doesn't exist any more.

Older daughter did cookery too Tina and enjoyed it. Even if youngest makes and eats vast quantities she'll still look like a stick of spaghetti 

Never did like her..........

18/06/2013 at 22:52

Know what you mean about producing a stick insect FG. Life's not always fair. Youngest son's like that, except he's built up muscle.