London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
29/06/2013 at 19:10

V.   Sowley House was a private visit arranged by "Plant Heritage" ( the new name of the NCPPG) and clearly a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet the owner and her garden. I don't think I have ever been in a more tranquil garden. Worth the annual membership fee and then some. Fritham is yellow book in the Forest , near where I live but one I have only driven past before. We raised some funds for the local Hospice this morning, always a most worthy cause.

29/06/2013 at 19:43

Evening all! I seem to have lost my place as the person who opens the thread in the evening! The longer days and dry weather mean we are all in the garden later, perhaps. Spent the day pruning, weeding, planting, watering, a lovely, peaceful, exhausting day. I've had to give up - too tired to do any more!

WW, you must have had a wonderful day! You've reminded me to check the yellow book for what's on tomorrow - pity to miss these gardens at their peak.

On second thoughts, I suppose lots of people are engrossed in Wimbledon. I'm enjoying the peace and quiet with the TV switched off, but then I just don't get the appeal of sport - there's a gap in my make-up where appreciation of sport should be.  The only thing I really like exercising is my mouth!

29/06/2013 at 20:13

I'm here GG! Not seen much tennis today apart from end of Djokovitch's match. Took sis and BIL to airport and been outside doing more fence. The end is almost in sight. Back sore from digging holes and mixing concrete  Not sure why - as I'm only 27...

What a lovely day you had Woody- glad you're getting time to enjoy your garden after letting everyone else in to enjoy it recently! 

Girls away to their Dad so relaxing in peace now 

29/06/2013 at 20:18

sport-free zone here as well, fortunately OH not interested either

took a couple of glasses of wine for a walk before dinner but they didn't complete the circuit so we had to come back for a refill. Set up a moth trap, just needs turning on towards dusk. 

29/06/2013 at 20:18

Hi, FG. Just been staying with grandkids. Lovely! But, oh, how lovely to be back at home and doing things my way, at my pace, in peace and quiet! For once, I've worked as hard as you seem to do all the time! I'm aching from my heels to my..er.. btm.

29/06/2013 at 20:21

On the sofa now with a G&T - its been a busy day but satisfying.  I took Ma out for a push around the little seaside town where they live - I pushed her into the butchers and she helped me choose some pork chops, and the butcher remembered her from when she used to do her own shopping - that made her day!  

And  then we went to another shop for her to choose birthday cards for Bro and niece who both have birthday's soon - it's little bits of normality like that that she misses so much. 

29/06/2013 at 20:28

Just take your time with it all GG! I know what you mean about doing things at your own pace - I just have lots of tea breaks...

29/06/2013 at 20:33
Fairygirl wrote (see)

J.... I just have lots of tea breaks...

I'm having a G&T break 

29/06/2013 at 20:35

Me too Dove, but with a glass of squash.  Did get outside this afternoon, but it was really too hot for me but I'm not complaining. Promised I wouldn't do that this year in view of the awful, long winter we had. Got the black box ready for repair tomorrow and cleared a space for son to work.  Did some chopping down of overgrown bushes and watered new turfs. Then fell asleep on sofa whilst watching a film on laptop. Such excitement. Not had TV on at all today but will in a mo as I am watching The Americans.  Hoping I might soon understand it!

Have a good evening all.

29/06/2013 at 20:35

I only had a few strawberries. Not enough to go with ice cream, so I made Pimms instead.

29/06/2013 at 20:37

Did you have any dinner or just G&T? 

29/06/2013 at 20:44

Tina I'm pleased  you have said that about the Americans, I feel exactly the same. I always record it in the hope if I watch bits a couple of times I might understand, but still don't.

Out to water everything now

29/06/2013 at 20:52

What's The Americans?

29/06/2013 at 20:55

I think it must be a TVprogramme GG

29/06/2013 at 20:56
Fairygirl wrote (see)

Did you have any dinner or just G&T? 

Gammon steak, a huge heap of broad beans fresh from the garden and parsley sauce 

29/06/2013 at 20:59

I know its a TV prog!!! Never heard of it and wondered which channel it is on so I can be mystified by it, too. it'll make a change from being mystified by Wimbledon!

29/06/2013 at 21:02

GG, yes, Nut's right. It's a tv prog. ITV 9.45.  Like Bev says, you need to watch each episode twice in the hope you will get the gist. Used to do that with 'Damages'.  Did give up on that in the end as I totally lost the plot - or they did. 

29/06/2013 at 21:26

Is it fiction?

29/06/2013 at 23:43

Been to a concert (piano) in a French friend's garden, followed by buffet dinner. She has a big old manor house and a typical French garden, lawn, trees, no flower beds. Big shame it rained. Her 6th time and the other years it was warm and sunny. Audience, around 150, wore warm clothes and macs and umbrellas.

This afternoon I podded 4 buckets of broad beans, picked by OH, while I listened to the evening's pianist on U tube. Thibaut Surugue - in case anyone wants to know. He was very good.

30/06/2013 at 16:03

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26522.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

I'm cheating aren't I - it's too early to say good evening.

Never mind, can any of you let me know what this is, only bought it today and have forgotten already. It's a perennial and has firecracker (?) in the name. I'll recognise it when you tell me.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26521.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Not sure how to get text/ photo in right place.