Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
30/06/2013 at 16:03

Yellow flowers any time soon I'm told

30/06/2013 at 16:20
30/06/2013 at 16:27

Mrs garden

Yes it,is indeed lysmachia firecracker.

Can I offer a word of caution?  This is an invasive plant.  I has this few years ago ...loved purple foliage and planted it.  In first season it showed tendencies to run but in the second year it was rampant.  

So, accept it will run, grow it In a pot or take it back

30/06/2013 at 17:50

Thanks verdun, I've just dug it back out and replanted in a pot! One day i'll think before I plant.

30/06/2013 at 18:57

Mrs G

We've all done it.  Still do it I guess

30/06/2013 at 19:06

I've been clambering along the top of the Shady Bank, tying in honeysuckle and clematis shoots.  My Duchess of Edinburgh looks poorly - one branch has completely wilted, complete with bloom - don't think it's the dreaded Wilt, I think a snail may have stripped the stem of bark .  I grew this once before and it was a complete PITA to get going, I must've tried it in several different spots until I more or less chucked it into a gritty bit of dust against the northwest facing fence just outside our gate where it romped away and bloomed it's socks off.  

I thought I'd got it right first time this time - gritty loam, northwest facing fence - but it's not happy ............. 

After OH manhandled me down off the bank we sat on the terrace in the shade with a large glasses of iced water (it's been very hot in the garden today) and watched the bluetits going in and out of the nestbox feeding their young - they'll soon be ready to fledge - they've been feeding them since we came back from holiday   I'm so chuffed that they're nesting there - we only put the box up in February.  I say 'we' but it was OH on top of the ladder hammering away - I know he was only doing it to humour me, but he is absolutely incredulous that the bluetits have nested there, and he loves watching them too - he can see them from the studio window 

30/06/2013 at 19:17

Sounds lovely dove.

Its frustrating isn't it when we try so,hard to grow a particular plant but,we are jinxed every time.

(just pinched a big bag of haribo sweets as I check the forum.  They're really my niece's but she won't know..I'll get more tomorrow.  Trouble is I've now had enough of them but got to "finish off the evidence".  Oh well!  Have to get the job done.

Happy evening forkers

KEF
30/06/2013 at 19:35

Dove, so lovely about the blue tits.

Verdon..what can I say?? If you are going to have calories have something worthwhile..I did indulge yesterday at GC a Lindz ? bar of dark choc' with nuts & blueberries, nice, will eat rest tonight.

But also swiftly grabbed a plant, friend fed up..thought of your comments and got a dwarf delphinium Summer Nights..another for a pot I think..it's lovely. Sucker for blue plants.

Will fess up also ate mint & choc chip icecream at GC..just to slow friend down, honestly.

30/06/2013 at 19:41

Dove, what a pleasant afternoon.

This morning started wonderful- then the mist came and stayed all day.I managed to get lots of school work done.

Than Billy asked to go shopping- so we visited the dreaded Asda. Only good thing was that I remembered the local GC is open 'till 6 on a Sunday so popped in there on the way home. Found a lovely little Clematis Filigree in the reduced corner. Also  hardy Gerbera which was a little wilted but is already improving with a bit of water.

A bit of TV tonight and an early night. Hope everyone has had a good weekend.

30/06/2013 at 19:50

What a pretty little thing Bev - what a stroke of luck!   This site http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-filigree.html suggests growing it in a big pot and letting it tumble down - sounds a lovely idea!

30/06/2013 at 19:53

Dove those hardy gerberas really are hardy.....I've had a couple overwinter for two years.  Lovely thongs.

KEF, you mean you only ate SOME of that chocolate.  I woulot have eaten the lot. Those dwarf delphiniums are lovely.  They will still get,quite tall following year but I've had some delightful,colours this year. Share your fondness for blue plants....I have prob in excess of 20 different blue varieties......now counting in my head and I prob have nearer 30.

30/06/2013 at 19:53

mmm hardy Gerberas--- (in cornwall) Def not hardy in Nottingham

30/06/2013 at 19:56

Hello everyone, unexpected sunny warm day here, spent all day outside planting stuff out, watering and pricking out stuff. Finally the frames are starting to look empty 

The blue tits sound lovely Dove, I do love the birds but not encouraging any as now I have two cats. Sounds like you picked up some bargains Bev rescue plants are brilliant.

KEF
30/06/2013 at 19:59

Fidget / Verdun should gerberas overwinter in a cold greenhouse in S. Yorks ? Hope so 'cos I bought a couple.

30/06/2013 at 21:49

Evening all, been so busy today, soooo knackered to write anything today will say more about it tomorrow

Hollie hock - the seeds I sowed from the white campion end last year have started to flower and are white so the seeds I sent you should come out white

Night all - too tired off to bed

30/06/2013 at 22:22

I've had my lysimachia Firecracker for 4 years and I wish it was a bit more rampant. The ordinary yellow one is quite rampant but easy to pull up, but Firecracker has hardly moved. So perhaps it depends on soil and climate.

30/06/2013 at 22:25

Hi Gardengirl, great news not long planted them out so will look forward to them next year. Saw your ad on gumtree, hope it went well

30/06/2013 at 22:32

Jury's out then BL on L.firecracker. Night night all.

30/06/2013 at 22:56

Put it this way Kef, out of 6 plants put in, none survived the winter.   They were not waterlogged. It is very free draining sandy soil.  they just don't like the -10c frosts we get around here. South Yorks?. Well as I drive up the M1 to sheffield, the temp usually drops at least 3 degrees , so If you want to see them next year, I would pot them and take them in for the winter.

KEF
01/07/2013 at 08:05

Thanks fidgetbones, I do have them in pots, so into the GH for winter.