London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
5 messages
21/01/2014 at 07:10

Hello,

I have a mature grape vice growing up my garage wall down an alley about 1 metre wide and 6 metres long. I'd like to plant a blackberry bush nearby and wondered how far apart I should keep them. Ideally, I would want the blackberry bush within abaout 20 inches so I can train it up a wall adjoining the garage but don't want to risk the vine in the process.

21/01/2014 at 10:25
Hi Jerry ,normally blackberry need 2.5 to 4.5 metres between depending on which type you choose Bob the gardener is good with blackberries he has Waldo which iv ordered as well big black and sweet , if you go to blackberries RHS that will be a good help, with a bit of luck Bob might see this and help good luck.
22/01/2014 at 17:43

Many thanks Alan.

22/01/2014 at 18:53

Hi Jerry, as it's a mature vine the roots will be spread over quite a distance (many metres) and happily growing under paths, patios etc. so I don't think you need to worry about the blackberry affecting it.  If it was relatively young then it might be a concern but I'm sure you'll be fine in this case.  Just take care not to cut through any thick vine roots (easily identifiable as they look just like the vine stem itself) when preparing the planting hole for the blackberry.

24/01/2014 at 18:57

thanks Bob.

email image
5 messages