Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

CluelessGardener

With gas and electricity prices on the increase also petrol which will have a knock on effect onto every other form of heating are you going to still heat your greenhouse this year.

I would like your views on the best cost efficient system of heating a green house is a thermostatic controlled better that say a Paraffin heater are you looking at solar powered heating.

Also does the cost of heating outweigh the performance of growing your plants?

At what temperature do you switch or light your heating system.

Busy-Lizzie

I only use my GH from March to start off bedding plants in heated propogaters and later to grow tomatoes in. It gets very cold in winter, living in Dordogne it is often -10° at night, so I don't feel it's worth heating it in winter or growing anything that needs winter heat. I also have a warming cable, buried in sand in an old plastic dog bed in the GH which I put newly germinated plants into. It doesn't use much electricity and it keeps them free from frost and a bit warmer at night.

MACAVITYTHECAT

With no affordable way to get electricity to my greenhouse for thermostatic heating (which would definitely be my preference) I am going to stick to my old-fashioned Aladdin Paraffin heaters this year but from lessons learned from last year am going to use fleece instead of bubblewrapping the glass because the paraffin causes a lot of damp. Also, I'm aiming at a sort of cold greenhouse this year. I will only aim to heat if the temperature drops below zero and will deal with the more tender plants by having coldframes inside the greenhouse to create a double-glazed effect.  Fingers crossed, that will work.   Last year I found I had molly-coddled my plants a little too much and with the cold spring ended up struggling to harden stuff off enough to plant outside.  It got to the point I had so many plants still inside when I was trying to get the summer bedding sown that I had to buy a ton of cheap staging to utilise all the height of the greenhouse and then it was murder trying to water everything when I could barely squeeze inside between the racking.

I don't heat mine at all but stock it with containers filled with water which supposedly increase in temperature during the day and then keep the interior a bit warmer at night as a result, taking time to lose the heat gained.

nutcutlet

I don't heat mine. I've thought about it but on balance I think not

I don't grown much that would benefit

Electric subject to power cuts when you need it most

Paraffin, unreliable, wet

Bottled gas, expensive 

Advertisement

CluelessGardener

hee hee got you BB I know it was the greenhouse that was 10x8 but soory just couldn't stop myself sorry.

what is unreliable a bout a parafin heater by thet way is it that they just go out ??

Atilla

Even if there was such as thing as solar powered heating, for 3-4 months of the year daylight duration, angle and strength would render it useless. The coldest period is 3am-7am in winter. On Dec 21st it can be daylight only from 9am-4pm, so solar will never work.

If you mean some sort of heat exchange using water warmed by the sun, then again the above with the added complication that the water will freeze to some extent.

An electric fan heated with a thermostat set to 7C is probably the best value given that paraffin produces so much moisture and you can kill more with botrytis than cold.

CluelessGardener

Thankyou blairs I will look into this 

I did see a fan greenhouse heater in this months GW near the back page

James

Atilla
CluelessGardener wrote (see)

Thankyou blairs I will look into this 

I did see a fan greenhouse heater in this months GW near the back page

James

Have a look on Amazon warehouse - they often have cheap electric fan heaters with thermostats for half price. I would say it cost about £20 more to use it last year and that was with those late frosts James!

I would only say it was cost effective if you already have electricty in the GH of course as it costs loads to instal with trenching etc.

CluelessGardener

I have put electricty in the greenhouse footings also a water supply so I'm all set and ready for Mr J frost.

James

Hi everyone hope that all is well.

I am new to the site and I need a tad of help, I have a 2 funnel greenhouse heater and here in Wales I find it quite useful but the problem I have is that the wick adjusters are sticking and hard to move (there is loads of wick left).

So will wd40 do the trick?? if not then any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Dai H

nodlisab

Just bought a greenhouse heater from Price Attack on Amazon, £13 and free delivery.

hogweed

It all depends on what and how many plants you want to overwinter in the greenhouse. If you only have a few plants in pots then you can build a tent with fleece above a bed with a soil warming cable in it. That would be very economical. But if you want to heat the whole greenhouse then a thermostatically controlled electric heater is the easiest. Again, depending on the size of your greenhouse, and the number and size of the plants, you could curtain off a bit of it and just heat that. After covering the glass in bubble wrap to help insulate it. 

Busy-Lizzie

Dai the Lawn, that happened with my 2 funnel paraffin heater, then it started making soot and I just couldn't adjust it properly so I bought another. Always a bit of hassle, but I didn't have an electricity  supply to the GH. Then, some years ago, I met 2nd OH and he arranged an electricity supply and gave me a small heater. It's so much easier.

Advertisement

HORTICO

My greenhouse is an oldie.  I bought it secondhand in 1984  It's a Halls  cedarwood house.  Having used parffin heating then propane gas, I realised I was wasting money.  I replaced the roof glass with polycarbonate 4mm.  Thge structure is boarded to about 2.5feet.  Then glass.  I prefer wood framed construction.  So much easier to add internal fixings.  Inside, is lined with small bubble plastic sheeting.  The large bubble plasic is usually quoted, however as I am always experimenting in and out of the greenhose.  My preference is 'small bubble plastic'  This remains attached all year.  I normally replace it say after two or three years.  I tend to keep plants ticking over, except for lilies, these rest, but are kept watered, just as if they were planted out in the open.  I lose very few plants.  A danger when winter storing is, too much top growth and lack of ventilation.  This will invite mildew and damping off.  If you have a structure that is all glass, then you can easily errect a screen of wood or even other protective substance.  Cover the lower part of the house outside.  Inside, take the bubble plastic to the ground level.  No, I don't use any form of heating now, yet believe it or not, I can take cuttings of most plants 24/7.  Hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me.  Happy gardening. Mike.

fidgetbones

I find the thermostat/frost stat on fan heaters are not very accurate. I turn mine up to full power, and control it through a separate thermostat plug. A separate  max min thermometer verifies the temp range.