Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenhouse learner

reiverreiver Posts: 32

As a geriatric newbie I would appreciate advice on how to make the most of my retirement gift greenhouse. Ihave been a bit trigger happy and have already planted out my seed raised plants. I have chillies,peppers , several basils,tomatoes cucumber and aubergine, all pretty well established. I would like to have a floral/foliage display on and beneath the staging. Any ideas?

My eight year old grand-daughter and I are learning as we go (Mostly from my mistakesimage). So, we would appreciate advice on what would work here in the heart of Gods country, the North East of England.image

Not sure if this the correct Topic- I am as unskilled with computers as I am with the garden.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Hi reiver

The most important thing is to get a seat in the greenhouse for tea breaks and thinking. Sounds as though you're doing Ok on the plant raising side. Isn't retirement wonderful image

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Wish I was you, how nice to receive a GH as a retirement gift.

You already sound knowledgable with the stuff you are growing, I can't for the life of me get basil to grow in there. How big is the GH and what type of plants do you like.   

• Woo2Woo2 Posts: 223

Hi reiver, I'm a relative newbie to gardening myself so will let the more experienced answer your question, but happy retirement and enjoy your learning, there's some great helpers on here image

• reiverreiver Posts: 32

Thanks all.

The GH is 10x6 . I have over watered and have had to rescue several trays. I do get advice from a neighbour. we stand and discuss manly things over the fenceimageimage

As I tell his wife, it's not gossip, it's the garden university.

Any way the next thing to learn is PATIENCE.!!!!

As my mum used to say

Patience is a virtue

Possess it if you can.

Seldom in a woman.

Never in a man!

HEY HO Time to go and NOT water anything.

Thanks again folks

• I have a small long wave radio so's I can listen to test match special, and a small table for my flask of tea. Oh yes... and some plants. I will grow a couple of Tom. plants in large pots inside this year to try to avoid the dreaded blight.These are the varieties you don't have to pinch out. Also some new potatoes in even larger pots for the same reason. I am growing cosmos for planting out later  and some chrysanthemums. Half of my g'house is in fact for alpines... but that is another story.

Have fun...image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

How lovely reiver.  If you're anything like me the greenhouse will soon become your sanctuary.  Unfortunately I'm a long way off retirement, but I absolutely love popping in to my greenhouse first thing in the morning and as soon as I get in from work. A much welcome place for some peace and quiet away from computers, phones and meetings. Like woodgreen wonderboy, a radio is essential, as is a place for a cuppa. It's my first year of being a proud and happy owner.  I was wondering if courgettes and runner beans can be grown in one or do they do better outside?  Ooh and aubergines too.  Like you, I am guilty of overwatering.  

I reckon I can physically feel my stress levels drop when I step inside mine!  Love it!

• Hi Riever

I too am a novice GH owner, it was supposed to be my hubby's hobby but he prefers the piano! We got the GH(4'x6') last year so I am slowly learning and loving the do's and dont's. I am also a little too keen with the watering can, I also prod and poke the soil of seedlings when they don't emerge as fast as I think they should, just looking for a shoot! I grow Basil, Coriander, Mint,(dead easy) Parsley,green beans, Tomatoes (Rosada and Sungold), also flowers, Cosmos, Marigolds, Sunflowers,pansys,primulas. Thats all i can fit in!! Im sure you will enjoy your retirement and the special time that is all yours.Let us know how you get onimage

• Hi Toot.  Like you this is my first year of having a proper Gh, apart from the little plastic jobbies, which are good. I have gardened for more than 40 years and I am kicking myself for not having one before...aaaaargh.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I move indoor cacti in there when the weather warms up and sow biennials in the GH August/September time ready for planting out later in the season other than that it's mainly the usual veg... toms, peppers, chillies and aubergines. I'm going to grow yard long red noodles in there this year for a firstimage  

Can't help with suggestions for a floral/foliage display, I'm sure another poster will be along to make suggestions though. 

Happy gardening...image

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Next year (too late for this one) I'm going to try melons!  I'm told some varieties work very well in greenhouses.

For floral displays, what about some of the plants that will be good companions for your veg?  Say marigolds to help distract pests from the tomatoes?

And I'd suggest going for fragrance - to make your heavenly nest just that little more heavenly! 

Whatever you do, enjoy it - let us know how you get on...