London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
17 messages
19/05/2014 at 09:05

The sun has been quite strong over recent days, so I thought I would open this thread to remind those who may be new to growing under glass to remember to shade their glass.......after a very short time the magnified rays of the sun can do a lot of damage to your plants.

'Coolglass' seems to be a popular choice for some. This is very cheap and bought as a white powder, mixed with water before being applied to the glass with a sponge or paint brush.

I prefer green mesh netting myself, as 'Coolglass' can be difficult to remove when no longer required.

KEF
19/05/2014 at 09:08

David, I agree it can be a so and so to remove, also if the weather changes and we need maximum light in GH netting can be removed.

19/05/2014 at 09:17

Thanks, KEF....I have used garden fleece before now, located (as with green mesh netting) on the inside of the greenhouse.

Already queries have been posted which seem to be related to sun scorch......I had wondered if Orchid Lady had remembered too.

19/05/2014 at 13:50

Hello , I agree with all the comments , I have put up the green mesh netting

long May this nice weather continue

19/05/2014 at 14:18

Hello David K, I have never had to use shading before as I haven't really grown that much but this year is different.  I was wondering when I should start using it so thank you 

When you say green netting, do you mean the type that can also be used outside to protect plants with little holes in?

At the moment I'm monitoring the light level because it seems that one side if the GH doesn't actually get that much direct sunlight because if our big privet hedge and the other side only gets it in the morning, but will keep monitoring.

Then there's the question of how to attach it?

I'm going to consult my new (borrowed) gardening bible now to see what AT says about it 

19/05/2014 at 14:34

Hello O/L , my shading fits on the inside with plastic lugs , very easy to fit and purchased at B/Q , I also use some greenhouse nuts to secure the tops and edges

it goes on the roof and down half of the sides , I don't bother with front or rear but it would depend on the position of the greenhouse to the sun

I have an automatic window opener and to compensate for that I just have it a bit loose over that bit

just thought my greenhouse is aluminium frame ,not sure what you would do if wooden

best of luck  

19/05/2014 at 16:26

Hi GWRS, mine is aluminium too and I have some of those GH nuts so will use them, is it just the green garden netting you use?

I have just been in my GH and I think it will need some shading.

KEF
19/05/2014 at 16:27

OL it is different to netting bit like a ...I don't know how to describe..Google GH shading  Doesn't sound like you need it yet. But good to be prepared. Like David I have strung fleece inside at certain times of day & moved later. Will use shading when we get lots of direct sun on GH.

19/05/2014 at 17:04

O/L  I am going to B & Q on Wednesday , pensioners discount day I'll have a look if they have any and tell you what's called

just been to the greenhouse it's 81 , without shading I'm sure it would be in the 90+

having a cup of coffee , what a beautiful sunny day 

19/05/2014 at 17:05

The green netting I use is bought from the builders merchant by the metre....I think it's intended for use in conjunction with scaffolding.....rather along the lines of safety curtain.....it's a bit heavyweight, so maybe KEF's idea may be better.

KEF
19/05/2014 at 17:24

David like your idea when I get my new GH might get some from BM as my new GH is supposed to stand weight of 4 blokes sitting on the top

21/05/2014 at 19:57

Hello O/L went to B & Q today , the Greenhouse shading they sell is 2-7 m x 1 -8 m and costs £21.98 the product code is 70625B

best of luck 

21/05/2014 at 21:20

Apart from shading from the suns rays.  It has to be remembered that the internal temperature can really soar to great heights.  If your greenhouse has a glass roof and sides.  Remember you need to have whatever form of shading, on the outside.  This will then serve a twofold purpose.  Havinging shading inside.  The heat will continue to enter.  I replaced my GH roof with twinwall polycarbonate.  The product that I used could be place with a UV protector outermost, or the other way around.  No problems at all.  In previous years.   I had rigged up a long pole going the length of the roof.  I made up a couple of strong brackets, one each end.  Stapled the green shading material to it, along with a pull cord.  I could the cover or uncover with ease.  Of course good ventilation is also required.  Rather than continually soaking the plants with water.  It is just as good if not better, to dampen down the floor frequently.

21/05/2014 at 21:50

Hello , I don't disagree with Mike but for ease and cost , simple shading inside an aluminium greenhouse does work

Ventilation is very important and damping the floor also works well 

Lets hope we have a good summer

21/05/2014 at 22:30

I shade mine from the inside of the greenhouse too and it works fine for me....shading from the outside involves its own problems during high winds.

Of course, the Victorians had a the right idea when the used teak slated rolls that could be rolled up or down as required.

22/05/2014 at 09:20

Funny you should post about that David. I was only thinking last night about getting some old blinds to afix within DIY runner jobbies to the inside of the greenhouse when we rebuild it to open and close as the worst of the summer hits.

22/05/2014 at 10:02

Yes, Clarington......I've used all manner of things over the years One that proved very cheap & effective was old net curtains hung in place with those stretchy, plastic covered curtain wires.

email image
17 messages