Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

greenhouse thermometer

hello, I'm looking for a digital display, indoor and outdoor temperature logger that is compatible with my mac, for my greenhouse.

there seems to be a lot of products on the market and was wondering if anyone had much experience of these products.

i don't have a large budget and i'm not the most computer literate person so the simpler the better.

my basic requirements are that...

-  to record indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity.

- digital display.

- USB compatible and not Wifi.

- compatible with my apple macbook laptop for analysis.

- includes or compatible with analysis software.

- relatively inexpensive.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has experience with these devices.

Many thanks, rob.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

whoooooooooooooooooosh , Right over my head. Sorry

Devon.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

To be honest I prefer a simple Max/ min thermometer for a GH. And I'm computer literate! The rest I watch the weather forecast for and anyway unless you link all that to an automated water and misting system for inside the GH its pretty unnecessary.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Like Dave, I have a simple minimum/maximum thermometer. Then I know if it got too cold at night and too hot in the day.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • ChuffChuff Posts: 16

Well, just incase you think everyone is a luddite here (!) I'd like exactly the same, although Wi Fi would do me fine. I've been looking on-and-off for a few months, and I'm afraid found nothing that fits the bill. I'm considering building my own...

I have a digital in-out thermometer by Lexibook, but it has no logging or analysis capacity. Just a radio link between the GH unit and the internal base station. It's OK, but I couldn't fully recommend it as the only time I email the supplier they were very rude back!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-LCD-Touchscreen-Wireless-Weather-Station-Forecast-Black-Radio-Controlled-New-/201257645121

Which I got from Maplin in a clearance sale.  They are also sold under several other names including WH1080/WH1081 and work with several different software packages including Easyweather for PC and wview for Mac.

The base station (which is completely self-contained and can be used without a computer) plugs into PC or Mac via USB for data record downloads and it communicates remotely with the external sensors (temp, humidity, wind speed, rain gauge) wirelessly.

Other software available - google WH1080 software for Mac in your case.

Here's my temperature graph for this year so far - took all of 5 seconds to generate and export from the Easyweather software:

Hope that helps. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

Absolutely correct Tetley, I have an in/out (with exterior probe) min/max thermometer, for the conservatory, you need to physically check the greenhouse plants anyway.  For your Mac, yup, you need it this weather !.  The 3 greenhouses, have cheap hanging min/max thermometers, do what they say on the tin!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'm curious to fathom why some folk think that those of us who can survive without every minutiae of our lives being linked to computers must be "Luddites"

Clearly everyone who uses this forum has some form of computer , but we're not all slaves to them.

The human race  managed perfectly well for millenia without them.

Devon.
  • I'm sure the "Luddite" comment was meant to be tongue in cheek! From what I can see from Chuff's posts he/she has only been posting on here for a week so perhaps we should be a bit more welcoming.

Having said that, I have max/min sensors all over the house, outside and in the greenhouses but just monitor them by eye so I'm afraid I can't help with the OPs question.