Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Greenhouses

Ive been looking at various brands/sizes/glazing types online and in person in garden centres, and there is a bewildering choice !!

Im looking for a 8 x 10 size and what would you recommend ??

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Simon, you'll likely get as many different opinions as replies - everyone has their own view.  For what it's worth, mine are: 1) aluminium frame, pre-coloured (powder coated) if you want that. 2) safety glass - expensive but the only type that will last for many years and essential if there are children or accident-prone (!) folk about. 3) for a GH of that size you want at least 2 windows and 2 louvres.  Extra windows and vents usually add significantly to the price and much more so with some suppliers than others, so cost these in when comparing.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Strange, my previous reply didn't appear but it show in 'my posts', so here goes again:

Hi Simon, you'll likely get as many different opinions as replies - everyone has their own view. For what it's worth, mine are: 1) aluminium frame, pre-coloured (powder coated) if you want that. 2) safety glass - expensive but the only type that will last for many years and essential if there are children or accident-prone (!) folk about. 3) for a GH of that size you want at least 2 windows and 2 louvres. Extra windows and vents usually add significantly to the price and much more so with some suppliers than others, so cost these in when comparing.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • XX Posts: 707

Hi Simon, given the choice I'd have a cedar frame greenhouse but unfortunately I'm not made of money or likely to win the lottery!  So i'd go for aluminium framed with safety glass and as BobTheGardener says 2 windows and 2 louvres, my single louvre and one of my windows have automatic openers which are handy when I'm out all day and it gets too warm in there.  I have one manual opening window as well, greenhouse size is 8x6'.  I bought it from Elite Greenhouses and had no problems at all.