Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ground Elder

Our garden is overrun by ground elder. Aside from constantly digging it up is there anything that can be done. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Digging is the worst thing you can do to eradicate it. Every last bit of root will make a new plant.

Weedkiller is the thing, I'm afraid.
  • Sophie 6Sophie 6 Posts: 6

Really?!? Oh no!!! I have thought about weedkiller but it is so intertwined with so many good plants I don't want to kill them too!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Glyphosate is about the only way to go. If the ground elder is actually in the roots of other plants you will have to dig them up and rinse the roots, pot on in fresh compost then work on getting rid of the ground elder in the bed. Sorry! That's if you want to get rid of it properly.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226

I did that last year, Took out the entire bed and washed all roots and replanted. This year I have just the odd bit coming up which I am spot treating. 

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538
    I have the same problem image I have spenttwo whole days digging downa foot andahalf, I sayI have de-ground eldered the area but I know I'm kidding myself! However I have no plants in there and am laying it to grass seed so don't mind having to do the odd excavation fir remaining roots.

Best of luck with it! image ,

I think it will just have to be an attempt to stop the worst of it- it's never going to go away completely! I'm just trying to find suitable plants that grow nearly as quickly as the ground elder and make it less noticeable! 

If anyone has any suggestions about plants that grow quickly and are pretty hardy that would be great. We have plenty of hardy geranium that swamp the ground elder a bit in summer and mask it a bit!

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538
    The only thing that competes with the ground elder in my garden is bind weed! Not very helpful I know but I'm starting from scratch after fifteen or more years of neglect! But lots of knowledgeable folk here so I'm sure you will get some suggestions image
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806

Vinca (periwinkle) will compete with ground elder, but it can be quite invasive too.

• We grew potatoes in an area where ground elder was a problem last year and the potatoes won! we have it coming in a flower bed this year and sadly I don't think potatoes will work there!