London (change)
Today 9°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 38 messages
29/06/2014 at 17:43

Strikes me that despite me claiming to be a grower I spend more time killing plants. Just walked around the garden and I must have pulled up and binned over a hundred growing things.

Ditto wild life. Last night we killed over 500 slugs and snails. Also caught a mole today.

Pricked out a load of seedlings, but there were far too many even for me so they finished up on the compost heap. I mean how many Sedum surculosum luteum does anyone want?

29/06/2014 at 18:04

I know what you mean Berghill - I just threw 30 tomato and about another 30 pepper & chilli plants (which were in 7cm pots) on the heap as I needed the space for those which have been planted into their final containers.  I've already given away twice as many.  Must try and control myself at seed sowing time next year, but fear it will be the same story all over again!

29/06/2014 at 18:19
Berghill.......I can't even imagine how you knocked off 500 slugs/snails in a night........the mind boggles...........actually, I'm not sure I want to know how you did it.......might give me nightmares LOL
What did you do with the Mole ?

Bob....I think I'm just about to follow your example..........in the G/House today, the mantra is...Bin.......sorry............Bin...........sorry.........and so on. I can never help myself from apologising to the plants I've raised and then don't have room for..........after all, it isn't their fault......like you, I plan NOT to do that next year but again, like you, I think history will repeat itself
29/06/2014 at 18:21
Im terrible for lifting plants to be moved, then forgetting about them, or forgetting to water them after the first couple of days, recently found my spirit of freedom rose was dead- lack of water, heaven help me!
29/06/2014 at 18:22
I have to confess, ive grown a mushroom, but cant bring myself to pick it!
29/06/2014 at 18:25
Bekkie.........the thing is to have a PLAN and then work to it...............if you ever find out how to keep to that, then do let me know LOL
29/06/2014 at 18:26
Id love to Phillipa, if i ever get round to making a plan!
29/06/2014 at 18:55
I recently decided that my herb garden (in the loosest of terms) isn't paying its way but cannot bring myself to bin the plants and cannot get rid of them through my usual supply chain.

To that end I'm moving two sage, a rosemary and a blueberry into my hen pen and they can like them, lump them or destroy them as they see fit.

I did manage to get rid of a cotoneaster recently that I didn't realise was horizontalis when I bought it. I dragged that around two house moves though before I thought, 'I just don't like or want this.'
29/06/2014 at 19:01
Victoria........moving into Chicken pen...........yes, that's the ideal way...........you haven't binned them per se.......just left them to nature........then you don't need to feel guilty about it.......happily blame the Chickens......
29/06/2014 at 19:06
Quite the opposite of this thread, i managed to make a cooking apple tree by accident, i had been pruning my apple tree but noticed something else needed staking so picked up a near by stick- it took root and now i have yet another tree that i dont feel i can murder or get rid of
29/06/2014 at 19:26

Yes - what  you need is a cunning plan....

I always have one but somehow it always needs a little 'fine tuning'....or to put it another way - changing 

29/06/2014 at 19:57

The dead mole was disposed of, into the field  next to us as a dreadful warning to the hundreds of moles that live there.

Think about it, every time you go out into the garden to pull up weeds, what else is that but killing things?

Every time you spray your plants with insecticide (even if it is organic) you are killing things.

The molluscs were either crushed under foot or cut up with scissors, by the way. Not that it made much difference, the survivors decimated the newly planted vegetables.

29/06/2014 at 20:02
No inscectisides or slug/snail killing here, am a bit lax on the old weeding too, but thats lazyness!
29/06/2014 at 21:15

First year we have really had to go out of our way to deal with the molluscs and we think we have disposed of over 4,000 of them so far. They are even eating plants which we have never seen even the slightest damage on before. Potato haulms have no leaves, nor have the giant yellow Scabious. The Heleniums and Shasta Daisies have gone completely, nothing left at all.

We don't spray with insecticides either, too many bees to take the risk.

I sound like some sort of extreme Buddhist, but it just struck me that's all.

29/06/2014 at 21:30
Not at all, i hate digging because it always means collateral damage! The odd frog gets it too, there are so many in the garden, you cant even move a rock or rustle a plant without one jumping out, sometimes i just dont see them.

Sounds like you have major slug problem! Maybe you are killing the wrong ones? Did you see Edds post the other day?
29/06/2014 at 21:33

In my garden at the moment it has been a bit like pulling a small thread and the whole jumper unravels! One of the things on my list was getting rid of the perennial sweet peas that were almost taking over a long border. I did that and when they were down I noticed the pineapple broom on the trellis had failed to sprout this year - definitely dead. Then when I was inspecting that closely I realised the trellis was getting past its best. So..........the whole border is going to be cleared, broom and a few other plants disposed of, new trellis put up and that gives me a new planting opportunity! I only hope the posts for the trellis are ok! And that scenario has happened in more than one area of my garden this year. I think it is going to take me all summer to get all the work done that needs doing!!!

I  am definitely in the kill zone at the moment - I have my eye on a few shrubs that need to go.........

29/06/2014 at 22:59
Yes, my garden needs a bit of an overhaul, i seem to have gone off pink! I will try not to murder, they wil be donated to mother, forcibly if needed!
29/06/2014 at 23:20
I help a friend with her garden.....it is huge. She won't kill anything.....an ant, slug, snail, etc. rabbits run amoc and when I try to catch one she screams I'm "scaring" it. I try to make an attractive garden for her buf it is frustratingly difficult.
However, I have to admit I find this refreshing......well, sometimes. It's naive and impractical though

We have to control pests however we can or we might as well give up growing the things we won't to. ,Berghill mentioned losing his heleniums and shastas...they are delicious, apparently, for any mollusc.......but for me that would be disastrous (garden wise anyway). Mine are tall, soon to be covered in flowers and slug free. I use pellets and, primarily, hand pick. More importantly, I want to eat my lettuce...ME....not the slugs.

We cant have it both ways......a full garden with uncomtrolled pests. So, I'm a grower and a killer
29/06/2014 at 23:25
I saved a snail from drowning the other day,i reckon id like your friend
29/06/2014 at 23:35
Bekkie, I took her to a GC couple years back and at the checkout a small slug crawled out from her just bought plant. She wanted to save it. The checkout girl simply squashed if ......I tried ro make out I was no part of this situation.
Bekkie, you sound nice, but get real......you cannot save a snail's life!
1 to 20 of 38 messages