Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growers or Killers?

PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Strikes me that despite me claiming to be a grower I spend more time killing plants. Just walked around the garden and I must have pulled up and binned over a hundred growing things.

Ditto wild life. Last night we killed over 500 slugs and snails. Also caught a mole today.

Pricked out a load of seedlings, but there were far too many even for me so they finished up on the compost heap. I mean how many Sedum surculosum luteum does anyone want?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I know what you mean Berghill - I just threw 30 tomato and about another 30 pepper & chilli plants (which were in 7cm pots) on the heap as I needed the space for those which have been planted into their final containers.  I've already given away twice as many.  Must try and control myself at seed sowing time next year, but fear it will be the same story all over again! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Im terrible for lifting plants to be moved, then forgetting about them, or forgetting to water them after the first couple of days, recently found my spirit of freedom rose was dead- lack of water, heaven help me! image
    I have to confess, ive grown a mushroom, but cant bring myself to pick it! image
    Id love to Phillipa, if i ever get round to making a plan! image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502
    I recently decided that my herb garden (in the loosest of terms) isn't paying its way but cannot bring myself to bin the plants and cannot get rid of them through my usual supply chain.

To that end I'm moving two sage, a rosemary and a blueberry into my hen pen and they can like them, lump them or destroy them as they see fit.

I did manage to get rid of a cotoneaster recently that I didn't realise was horizontalis when I bought it. I dragged that around two house moves though before I thought, 'I just don't like or want this.'
    Wearside, England.
    Quite the opposite of this thread, i managed to make a cooking apple tree by accident, i had been pruning my apple tree but noticed something else needed staking so picked up a near by stick- it took root and now i have yet another tree that i dont feel i can murder or get rid of image
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yes - what  you need is a cunning plan....image

I always have one but somehow it always needs a little 'fine tuning'....or to put it another way - changing image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

The dead mole was disposed of, into the field  next to us as a dreadful warning to the hundreds of moles that live there.

Think about it, every time you go out into the garden to pull up weeds, what else is that but killing things?

Every time you spray your plants with insecticide (even if it is organic) you are killing things.

The molluscs were either crushed under foot or cut up with scissors, by the way. Not that it made much difference, the survivors decimated the newly planted vegetables.

No inscectisides or slug/snail killing here, am a bit lax on the old weeding too, but thats lazyness! image
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

First year we have really had to go out of our way to deal with the molluscs and we think we have disposed of over 4,000 of them so far. They are even eating plants which we have never seen even the slightest damage on before. Potato haulms have no leaves, nor have the giant yellow Scabious. The Heleniums and Shasta Daisies have gone completely, nothing left at all.

We don't spray with insecticides either, too many bees to take the risk.

I sound like some sort of extreme Buddhist, but it just struck me that's all.