Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Growing Stocks from seed

Morning all!

My Stock seedlings are growing very slowly - is this normal? The dahlias I sowed at the same time have way passed them by. I wonder if I should keep them indoors a little longer? I have been hardening seedlings off for the past week and the dahlias are in the ground, whilst the poor, scrawny Stocks are going slightly white on the tips of the leaves.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Del.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Hi Del,

I don't know much about stock but my neighbour gave me some tiny seedlings about a month ago and I ended up putting them outside as my cats kept poking their hands in the tray.

They are still in the tray ( I should probably pot them on while I'm waiting for their border companions) and I would describe them as doing well - they are several inches high and a nice green.

As I say I put these out when they were small and as far as I am aware these are a normal single stock not a special kind...

Could you experiment with a few by putting them outside and seeing if they pick up?

Hopefully an expert will be along shortly with some good adviceimage

Wearside, England.
  • cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

They do grow slower than dahlias. I find dahlia seeds extremely fast growing. when did you sow them

• Thanks, both, for your comments! I sowed the seeds about a month ago and have had to take a lot of care of the Stocks and not worry about the dahlias. It must be nature's way! Hopefully, the Stocks will catch up.

It was certainly fun running around in the heavy rain this afternoon trying to bring the weaker seedlings indoors! 

Thanks again for your response!