Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

GW 2015

ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,076

I know it's early days but is this new series so unremarkable that no-one has anything to say?

I found the first programme uninspiring but then I don't have huge apple trees to prune, or small ones either, and he seemed to spend a great deal of time on those and his pelargoniums which I don't bother to over winter as it's just too cold here.

The second programme was much better and I'm looking forward to seeing how that couple's garden gets on and which trees will go to improve the light and air.   I can't see me sowing broad beans directly for another month unless the soil warms up a great deal so I shall be doing mine in pots this weekend and planting them out later.

I liked the feature on hellebores.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
"The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
Plato

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Not much relevant to me in the first one, but I did enjoy watching it.  Haven't seen the second episode yet I have it recorded, so may watch this afternoon while Hubby watches the footie.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

After an enforced break in gardening, (bad hip and stupidly moving to a flat!) I can, now having a garden again, bear to watch . I really enjoyed last night's prog. I need to sow sweetpeas in situ. I still think Monty doesn't look well.

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

The item with Joe Swift designing a small garden made me smile. My garden is 1/3 of that size!

• KelsbelsKelsbels Posts: 54

Oldtyke, I have to agree, somewhat flabbergasted that he kept referring to it as 'a tiny space'!image

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

if they saw my garden and had to do something with it they'd flip, tiny? they have noooo idea,what they think is tiny is 4x what we have, haven't seen last nights yet, love monty, love the programme but the pelargonium feature was a yawn fest

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Seems to me the garden design bit is aimed at well heeled London properties in Westminster or Chelsea. Yes many gardens are small in the UK, but 90% of people couldn't afford what's been shown so far. Monty is as informative as ever, and CK is as gushing as ever. The helebore breeder was interesting, but very well heeled indeed, again unlike 90% of the rest of the country. Are GW going upmarket this year and ignoring the poor folks.

• I am pleased to report that this afternoon I stopped watching episode 2 after the hellebores and went out in the garden and sorted my own hellebores out ,they needed doing badly,they were in a terrible state! Now they look  lovely but have no large leaves, hope that's going to be ok. I shall continue watching the programme tomorrow whilst I polish my halo. image.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,140

It really puzzles me when people complain about the size of a garden when the feature was about hellebores - what the heck has the size of someone's garden (or bank balance for that matter) got to do with it?  That's the great thing about gardening - it's a great leveller -  you either know your stuff or you don't - if you're not prepared to learn you'll never be a gardener.  The woman who was breeding hellebores obviously knew what she was talking about and had bred some beautiful plants and could speak well about them. 

Or is it only the efforts of 'horny handed sons of toil' that are valued?

My garden is tiny compared with many, but I grow hellebores and enjoyed watching the feature and learned a lot from it .... should I have not watched it as not being suitable for my small garden and a pensioner's income image

I really don't think we can expect one half hour programme a week to take on the task of changing the social strata of the UK - that's something that's been tried and has failed before and will probably take a bit longer and even more effort - but the 7th of May is coming folks image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• AshdaleAshdale Posts: 149

Totally agree, Dove.  As a gardener, it's irrelevant to me how well off the featured folk are.  In fact, I enjoy seeing all gardens, grand or modest.  The challenge is to garden with the particular conditions you have and lots of the advice is transferable.  Monty clearly has a large garden and a bob or two but he is mindful that not all of us garden on 2 acres with a healthy budget, and I have noticed that he often gives money-saving tips.  he was sanding his plastic pot labels last season to recycle them!

I have apple trees to prune, pelargoniums to cut back, hellebores bought and yet to be planted, sweet peas to sow, clematis to prune and an overgrown garden project in a much worse state than the one Carol is helping with, so I was in TV garden heaven the last 2 Friday nights.  And, roll on 7 May!!