London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
04/06/2014 at 13:29

I'm thinking of maybe trying to get to GW this year, but I'm on a strict budget for the next few months. Am I likely to find any bargains, or is it very much the cream of the crop there? I'm not too bothered about meeting the 'celebs' but would like to see what it's all about, but I'm wondering whether I'm better off saving the pennies and maybe putting it towards the Malvern autumn show later on in the year.

04/06/2014 at 13:43

Speaking personally, I've given up on GWL. It's dwindled from what it used to be, far fewer stalls of any gardening interest, and I've rarely seen  much to impress in the show gardens. Malvern autumn is very different, I always enjoy it, but again there are far fewer gardening things and more craft and tat.

04/06/2014 at 13:46

I don't have public transport, so GWL is easy to get to on the train, and Malvern offer a shuttle service from the station to the event. I'm quite happy with craft and tat though. I don't really know of other plant fairs I can visit that I can get to easily on trains and buses. Shame, but I though GWL might not be worth what it asks. I went to Grand Designs live, got free tickets, but found it dull. I'd be very disappointed if I'd paid for tickets.

04/06/2014 at 14:16

Last time I went (2 or 3 years ago) it rather seemed to be more about furniture and equipment than gardens and plants.. Im with Sweetpea - if it was free fine but its like paying to go into a showroom in the current form.

04/06/2014 at 14:26

Hi SweetPea,  I've never been to GWL but having to get to Brom and then traipsing round the NEC would feel too much like hard work, and then to have to pay for the pleasure, hmmm I don't think so.  However Malvern Autumn, oh the joy I just love it, including the craft and tat.  

04/06/2014 at 14:53

are you relatively local then Caral?

04/06/2014 at 15:21

To Malvern? Yes fairly, its about 45 min drive from me. 

04/06/2014 at 15:31

Oh wow! Someone who is local to me! There's a post on here about where we all are, and there's a distinct lack of folk in the Worcestershire area. In fact I make up the entirety of Worcestershire and Birmingham on the map... you basically pop a note on the map saying where you are, if you aren't already on there. Closest folk to me are in Bristol area.

04/06/2014 at 15:32
ighten wrote (see)

Last time I went (2 or 3 years ago) it rather seemed to be more about furniture and equipment than gardens and plants.. Im with Sweetpea - if it was free fine but its like paying to go into a showroom in the current form.

cant imagine it being any better now then. probably why they throw the freebie offer to access the good food show too. I'll go to the malvern show and see if I can get tickets any cheaper, where there's a will, there's a way!

04/06/2014 at 15:37

Okay, I'l have a look for the thread. Whereabouts are you in Worcs? 

04/06/2014 at 15:43

I'm in the very centre of the city.

04/06/2014 at 15:44

I've bumped teh 'Map' thread up for you girls - so it's on Page 1. 

04/06/2014 at 16:43

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/where-we-are-the-big-map/80520.html

04/06/2014 at 17:16

Don't visit GW Live anymore (reasons unimportant) but having regard to where you live & transport issues, I would instead visit Shrewsbury Flower Show in August.......a really good family day out with lots to see & do besides gardening.

04/06/2014 at 17:18

Is it tonnes of children? I fear large groups of children! :P I shall check it out, if it's over the bank holiday weekend that would be a bonus as I have it booked off.

04/06/2014 at 17:54

Sorry about that, don't know what happened there.  

The Shrewsbury Flower Show sounds great. 

04/06/2014 at 18:08

Sweetpea, agreed about large groups of children. My own are more than enough to contend with.. *slurps on her vino*  ;)

05/06/2014 at 08:57
I went to GWL last year and was disappointed. There seemed to be fewer gardens than the year before and all the plant stalls seemed to be selling the same plants - and ones that you could pick up in any garden centre. It's a shame as I live in Birmingham and so this would be an ideal day out.

I haven't being to the autumn show at Malvern but love the spring show.
05/06/2014 at 09:49

I want to go so much but my lit tiles would be bored, I a couple of years i'llgo

05/06/2014 at 11:51

I went the first year it opened and as it was relatively unknown then it was bliss to look round as there were no crowds.  It was the year Geoff H suddenly became ill and Alan T stood in for him at a talk I attended.  I would not go again mainly as I can't stand crowds which makes it impossible to get round and see everything.  I did buy some nice plants though. 

1 to 20 of 24 messages