London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
5 messages
22/07/2014 at 12:08

My Petunias in my hanging baskets have become very lank and straggly, is there a way to return them to their former glory? With pruning and feeding perhaps?

22/07/2014 at 13:25

Hi Malcolm  I sometimes have the same problem certainly feeding will help and keeping them well watered as far as pruning goes Im no expert but it seems to work with everything else in the garden at about this time of year of they look awful then perhaps cutting them back a bit will neaten the overall effect, Im sure someone will come along who knows more about this than I do.

22/07/2014 at 13:33

Thanks Yviestevie for your advice....... I'll try it this evening!

22/07/2014 at 13:52

I am no expert, but when mine get flowers only near the ends I chop the stalk back by half. I don't do this all at once though, kind of stagger it so there are always flowers.

It seems to work and makes them 'bushier' no idea if I am correct!

22/07/2014 at 16:19
L Bennett wrote (see)

I am no expert, but when mine get flowers only near the ends I chop the stalk back by half. I don't do this all at once though, kind of stagger it so there are always flowers.

It seems to work and makes them 'bushier' no idea if I am correct!

I've been planning to give this a bash too, as my petunias in my hanging baskets are long and lanky with just the last flower at the end waiting to flower, once that's done, they're getting the (semi) chop !! 

email image
5 messages