Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hardy geranium

B3B3 Posts: 27,476

I would like to identify this invasive geranium so that I can curse it by name image

My neighbour planted it as ground cover and it certainly does that!

It has pink flowers, pointy leaves with isolated dark spots and very deep roots.

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Possibly one of the Geranium phaeums - I've planted them under the ash tree on the shady bank - pretty thing - yes it spreads very usefully, but I wouldn't call it invasive.  Dead head it if you don't want it to seed.  image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• B3B3 Posts: 27,476

Unfortunately it's coming from next door. I can recognise the seedlings now, but it's a constant battle. They get everywhere.

Aym, I could win if I could get at next door' s plants!

Puts my minor problems into perspective

• ToadyToady Posts: 56

Hi B3, could be Oxonianum or Macrorizum, both make great ground cover, seed freely and bulk up quickly. Geranium Macrorizum is particularly good in dry shade where virtually nothing else will grow, I use the white variety a lot for this reason.

I suggest you put some kind of barrier down to stop it reinvading when you've got it out / finished cursing it!image

• lilysillylilysilly Posts: 511

Google geranium Mavis Simpson and see if looks like your neighbours plant. I started out with a 9cm pot of this and it grew massive both wide and rather tall. It does seed very freely and can be a pain at times. The flowers are lovely though and it flowers for months and bees love it the most out of all my hardy geraniums. I pot up most seedlings l find and donate them to the local church for their summer fete. I devide it every year too just to keep it looking "neat" as it can look lanky at its base.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,719

I could cope with a hardy Geranium, I always seen to have neighbours who favour Bindweed and Brambles! Oh, and Dandilions in the front garden, (I pip the heads off, when they arent in!)

Or Geranium Endresii.

My neighbour too, although he has now erected a 6 foot fence all along our boundary and it has gained me a foot of extra width, more planting opportunities i suppose!

• GrannybeeGrannybee Posts: 332

Ooh - that was one of the geraniums (endressii) from GW last summer. Is it invasive then? It has only just poked its head above ground this year.

It will bulk up quite quickly and seed all over the place if you let it, unless it is a named cultivar which tend to be better behaved.