Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Harlow Carr

Yes and absolutely worth a visit.

I went in 2007 when Matthew Wilson was still the curator.  It has changed a lot since then with a new visitor centre, projects for schools and all sorts of new plantings.   Plan to spend several hours, if not a whole day, exploring the place thoroughly.

The café/restaurant is excellent too.

I'd love to go again if I'm ever up that way.

If you join the RHS you'll get free entry for 2 and a monthly magazine with articles on gardens and news about plants, methodologies, techniques, trials, nurseries etc plus access to experts who can help with problem solving.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Like it, like it, like it.

Blue poppies and candelabra primulas will  be over, but always lots to look at.

Have tea at Bettys while you're there. If your'e too late, have Dinner in Harrogate at the big Bettys

• When you arrive be sure to pick up a plan of the Gardens - it's a big area, and you don't want to miss anything.  And don't be surprised if you bump into a big White Rabbit in a tremendous hurry.  image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

We visited a few years back when No1 daughter was thinking of York Uni.

We both agreed we couldn't possibly use Bettys tea room as she'd forgotten the apostrophe in Betty's. image

Devon.
  • Yes, there is Gertie Grass!  Don't know if there's a Cheshire Cat.  You'll have to report back.

Plenty of benches around Gertie.  Also, 6 manual wheelchairs and 3 mobility vehicles are available.  If you think something like that would help you, you will need to book.  Ring 01423 724681 for more information.

The Gardens cover 68 acres, but you don't have to see everything on your first visit.  Enjoy!  We look forward to your review!

Himself is watching that. I'm enjoying a nice Margaret river cab sav and some cheese.imageimage

As a diver and himself is a 3d scanning engineer, he says its a crappy scanner, but I'd have bought the bell up. Its what every wreck diver hopes for.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Gertie - no, not in PR but I do think the RHS and its works are amazing and that includes the gardens.   I think Harlow Carr will need several visits to see it all and also to see it at different seasons.    There'll be a plant shop too where you can buy treasures for your garden.

Have a look here - https://www.rhs.org.uk/gardens/harlow-carr/plan-your-visit-to-harlow-carr 

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Harlow Carr is local to me so I visit often. School summer holidays and some very clever marketing of the Alice in Wonderland 150 anniversary by the RHS means it is VERY busy with children and families at the moment. But that is by no means a reason not to visit! 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Gertie - use the link to navigate around teh RHS website and find out about Wisley, the first garden, then Rosemoor in Devon and Hyde Hall in Essex.

Alternatively, go straight to the home page and click on from there -https://www.rhs.org.uk/

If they are too far away, you could always do B&B for a night or two or make them part of a holiday.  They all need at least one good day to visit them and remember, access is free to members so check entry prices for two and compare that against the subscription.   I have just had a very happy little lie-in reading the August issue of the magazine........

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato