Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
21 to 40 of 53 messages
17/03/2013 at 08:30
Snowing here
17/03/2013 at 08:34
Sunny here. Sowing peas today
17/03/2013 at 12:31

My tete a tete's and snowdrops have been flowering for a couple of weeks, purple crocus about a week. The tulips are leafing but no flower buds yet. Hydrangea leaves starting to come out. I'm west of Manchester. I think I need to start sowing my chillies, toms, aubergines - had the potting tray with compost on the kitchen worktop for the last two days! 

17/03/2013 at 13:00

No spring yet, just more snow.  But a few snowdrops are out, and the tulips and daffodils are just starting to poke their heads out.  I'm in Piedmont, Italy and the weather this winter has been strange, almost Spring one day then back to winter the next.

17/03/2013 at 14:48
Verdun wrote (see)
Sunny here. Sowing peas today

Grrrrrrrrr!  What's spring, I've forgotten. Snowdrops out, crocuses up but still closed, need a good day of sunshine to get them to open up.

It's my fault the weather is so gloomy, I put solar panels up last year (I'm really a bit of a tree-hugging hippy).  So blame me.

17/03/2013 at 16:09

Struggling here. A pot of tete a tete in a warm spot by the house are out, elsewhere crocuses and daffs still in bud and a poor showing too.

Not much wildlife either - I have photos from the end of March last year with ladybirds, bumble bees and butterflies all well and truly out of hibernation. Expect they will be late this time round though.

17/03/2013 at 16:11
We had a warm march last yr blueberry ...not this year though. All slow here but my hellebores have bounced back to life after that really cold spell , took spotted lady 2days to recover thought I'd lost her
17/03/2013 at 16:54

Lucky you Verdun living in Cornwall. My other half disturbed a still sleeping hedgehog whilst dealing with the compost heap. Fortunately he saw it just in time and we covered him/her up again. I expect all the hedgehogs in Cornwall are wide awake and getting on  with life in Cornwall! 

17/03/2013 at 20:31

I live  in surrey.violas,  tete-a-tete, hellebores and primrose in flower. crocus battered to the ground by the rain.( dont think i will get a good showing, been wet for too long, probably started to rot. the purple ones are very strong and long lasting, yellow ones go over first) tulips,alliums, lilies and agapanthus already in leaf. large flowered daffs just beginning to open. planted some fritallaries last autumn, which is showing a lot of promise. cant wait for proper spring to arrive. the cold and wet weather is making my winter garden fever worse.lol

17/03/2013 at 21:16

One day on, one day off, as someone else said higher up, here in N19 London - fed up with it! Had about 4 days of Spring last week, then that vanished and has been replaced by rain, cold and wind. WHAT is going on this year? is it just me, or has this Winter felt waaaay too long?

17/03/2013 at 21:44

Here in south wales snowdrops,iris and crocus have come and gone.

Daffs have just appeared around the town. Most of the flowers are still hiding though.

Alliums and Fritillaries popping up, Clematis and Honeysuckles coming into leaf.

Spring has started slowly and its still pretty cold in the night times

17/03/2013 at 21:48
Hello Daydaisy, yes it does seem quite a bit different down here esp in winter. Talking of hedgehogs, I must have had the only hedgehog intent on running away. I painted his name.....Fred....on his back and neighbours were constantly bringng him back. He had what I thought was a secure winter home. Eventually he left for good. Wonder where he is now...we loved old Fred. Aah!
17/03/2013 at 21:59

Wet and mild here in S Wales - what's new? I've had a few sunny sessions in the garden though and things are looking quite good - tete a tete daffs and hellebores flowering, hyacinths quite advanced, a few crocuses,lots of things in bud. What's most amazing, this afternoon, in a sheltered and sunny (!) bit of the garden, I found leaves budding on a fuchsia! 

17/03/2013 at 22:10
Had gazanias flowering on and off throughout the winter, pelargoniums doing the same
Trouble is those nasties like vine weevils, slugs n snails etc etc will have survived in great numbers too
A few very cold days can be beneficial
17/03/2013 at 23:44

If that Zarking snow comes back, I'm going back to bed & won't get up until little One's second birthday (April 29th).  Not only does OH pinch my car so's I can't go anywhere, he's still not made me skis for the pushchair.

Off to say a rude word now.

18/03/2013 at 06:26
Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

If that Zarking snow comes back, I'm going back to bed & won't get up until little One's second birthday (April 29th).  Not only does OH pinch my car so's I can't go anywhere, he's still not made me skis for the pushchair.

Mummy Muddy Paws wrote (see)

18/03/2013 at 09:01
Verdun wrote (see)

A few very cold days can be beneficial

But we've had them now so could we have some sunshine and warmth please. NOW

18/03/2013 at 09:16

So changeable here.  It was really warm a couple of weeks ago but then snowed over the weekend.  Nights are cold and I think my hydrangea buds have had it  

Daffs just starting to think about flowering, and crocus and primroses are lovely although the days are so dark that sometimes the crocus don't bother waking up!!

18/03/2013 at 09:40
Spring has halted here ..only couple days left to sort itself out
18/03/2013 at 09:53

Here in Dordogne it sounds a bit like Shropshire above, but daffodils are showing now, but they all seem to be the pale yellow and cream ones. The bright yellow ones usually come out first and there are very few, but a lot of plants without flowers. Must be 2011's drought that lasted through last spring.

21 to 40 of 53 messages