Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hellebore disappointment

5 P & P only Washfield Doubles. 2 have flowered so far,

both look like this. When will I learn not to fall for these offers. Perhaps the first flowers are singles...

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

I might do that Verdun. It was an offer in the Telegraph last year.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's a bit of a lottery with these offers Judith. I've never been tempted - I like to see what I'm getting, but whatever you buy should match the description given. Do what Verd suggests, and in the meantime, treat yourself to a couple from a reputable outlet image

We have a good thread here too - it has a lot of recommendations of good online nurseries. I'll see if I can find it and bump it up for you to have a look.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Judith, if you want hellebores, you can't beat Ashwood nurseries at Kingswinford, west mids. If you are near, pick your own, if not, they will post, but large plants in flower do not come cheap.

That is beautiful AYM280

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Did you breed these aym? Beautiful.

Devon.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

I bought some doubles - I forget the name - and they did indeed take a couple of years to have double flowers. I felt that I had been cheated, but in fact, I haven't! They are now producing double babies.

Thanks for the info Posy, it seems I will have to be patient. X