London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
10 messages
16/07/2014 at 13:48

Hello greenfingers of the world! We live a few miles from Whitby in a little village on the North York Moors. I am retired so have the time to work in the garden. I found this wonderful place quite by accident but I think I am going to be a regular. I need all the help I can get - We have quite a large garden west facing and to be honest it quite overawes me. I suffer from anxiety attacks from time to time and feel the garden could be quite therapeutic...providing I set manageable tasks as I often overestimate my capabilities.

16/07/2014 at 13:55

Hi.  I've just joined here today too.   I'm in north Northumberland but we moved from North Yorkshire and my partner is from Rosedale.

Sounds like you need a gardener to help you. 

16/07/2014 at 13:56

Welcome to the forum, Mrs Nesbitt

16/07/2014 at 14:05

Mrs Nesbitt welcome.  We are not all greenfingered - some of us are learning along the way and enjoying the journey

16/07/2014 at 14:08

Thank you everybody xx

16/07/2014 at 14:20

Welcome Mrs Nesbitt 

What a lovely place you live and what a super project. 

Don't worry, we won't let you do too much at a time - we're great believers in 'gently does it' and 'sit back and enjoy looking at it'  from time to time.  

If you'd like to take some photos of the garden and post them on here, and tell us about the sort of garden you like, we can think about a step by step approach.  

To post pictures on here you need to click on the green tree icon on the toolbar above where you type your post, and follow the instructions.  If it doesn't work let us know 

16/07/2014 at 14:22

just slightly north west of you over the border in Stockton-On-Tees, County Durham.  I visit Whitby regularly for the fish and chips.

16/07/2014 at 14:28

Mrs Nesbitt, welcome to the forum. The trick about the garden is to do a little regularly. My days of spending all day working in the garden are gone - I don't have the energy or stamina now. So I do it in chunks. I go out to do a specific task, no longer than 2 hours - if I go past that then it is a bonus. Divide your garden into areas and concentrate on one area at a time. That will spur you on when you see the first area all tidy and looking good. I made the mistake a few months ago of making a list. Only problem was, when I started to do one task, I saw at least another 3 tasks that needed doing! And that started to get me  down. My list was getting longer rather than shorter!Now my lists are just in my head........

16/07/2014 at 14:53

Hello Mrs Nesbitt, hope you enjoy your garden and the forum. I live in N.Yorks too but in Wharfedale, I retired from working as a gardener last December  - everything was beginning to creak !  Now have my greenhouse all to myself.  I wonder if you are an experienced gardener or newcomer ?  I know the Whitby area quite well and do like it, but any northern garden faces its own challenges, especially with windy conditions.  I would suggest a little at a time and would recommend getting a greenhouse of some kind, even if it is only a small one.

I have found everyone on this site most helpful and knowledgeable - good luck

Louise

KEF
16/07/2014 at 16:06

Hi Mrs Nesbitt from me in S.Yorks

Hi to all new peeps, lovely to have you all on board.

I think it's all in the planning I'm good at sitting and looking and planning, and believe in having a rest before I start, I don't really do that but I think it's a cunning plan

email image
10 messages