Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

HELP! Turfing Problem

Hi all reading this

I come here in need of urgent help…

I am completely new to gardening and I thought it would be a good idea to level my garden.

I removed all the old turf, dug out the higher ground and then applied topsoil to level it off once I had pegged it to determine the level.

I then laid the turf and all looked to be great… Until…..

I decided to water it but when I did my foot sank into the soil leaving a massive footprint impression! Arraaarrggghh.

I noticed that after I watered the garden if I trod anywhere then the soil just squashes down. Even the bits where I haven’t trod are no longer level and the ground feels bumpy.

I fear by not compressing the soil fully by rolling it I have ruined my hard work

Can anything be done? 

How often and for how long should I be watering it?

Should I be filling in the impressions with more top soil? Should I drench it and then attempt to roll it?

Any help or guidance will be appreciated - I am at a loss what to do

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Welcome Gooner9,

I'm afraid I have to quote the wonderful Roy Cropper on Coronation St. " by failing to prepare, you should prepare to fail"

Sorry, but it seems you didn't compact the soil before laying. Don't use a garden roller to do this, you need to walk over the whole area on your heels to compact it. Rake it, check it, then repeat until it's dead flat.

If it wasn't laid long ago, you might be able to roll it back up and do the ground work before relaying?

Devon.

I'm sure if you check you tube or some such , you'll find a video of soil treading.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

If you look on this site https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=410 and scroll down you'll find a video on preparing the soil to lay turf or seed a lawn.

Hope it helps image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Gooner9Gooner9 Posts: 8
    Hi

Thanks all for your replies!

So am I best to lift the turf all up, compact and then relay? This can be done as it hasn't rooted yet.

Or should I wait to see if it compacts naturally? I did walk over it before and it feelt solid but not when wet

if it compacts, it'll never be level. 

Sorry, sometimes the right way isn't the easiest way. 

I was thinking of you Dove, when I thought there'd be a video somewhere.

Devon.

I just watched the video - thanks for the link. 

I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and relay it! 

I appreciate your honestly - like you say I would rather do it right. If I dont do it I have wasted hours and hours. 

Hi

Thanks all for your replies!

So am I best to lift the turf all up, compact and then relay? This can be done as it hasn't rooted yet.

Or should I wait to see if it compacts naturally? I did walk over it before and it feelt solid but not when wet