1 to 20 of 32 messages
01/07/2014 at 20:40

Good evening fellow gardeners!

I'm (still) working through identifying the plants in the school wildlife garden, and after hours of looking on websites and going through all my books...I admit defeat...Could you help?  I'm putting together a concept board with plant idents and a plan of the garden and these plants are the missing pieces....

thanks again for your help.  It makes a huge difference!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51279.jpg?width=509&height=286&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51280.jpg?width=197&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51281.jpg?width=509&height=286&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/51283.jpg?width=509&height=286&mode=max

01/07/2014 at 20:50

Bracken at the top

I think Hazel next, A pic of the bark would confirm (or not)

In the last pic, is that a child or adult hand. Just trying to get scale. And pic of the bark and twigs would help

01/07/2014 at 21:14

Ah Nutcutlet you are coming to my rescue again!  

Hazel! Well I was totally wrong...thanks for the correction.

Bracken - that makes sense...shame though as it doesn't sound exciting enough for such a gorgeous plant...

It's my hand holding the leaf (hand span is around 15cm) ...

Thanks again!  I'm typing up notes for the school as we speak....

01/07/2014 at 21:39

Just read up on bracken...won't be introducing it into other areas of the school garden...but didn't realise it can be used for mulch/composting...so not all bad then.

01/07/2014 at 21:53
That last one looks like some sort of maple
01/07/2014 at 21:55

Bracken,Hazel are what I have in my garden the last I am not sure.

01/07/2014 at 22:05

I think the last is some sort of maple but the leaves look rather large for field maple and the wrong shape for sycamore or Norway maple.

What did you think the hazel was Stipa? I can't see the bark, twigs or developing nuts so could be wrong.

02/07/2014 at 14:28

The Maple leaves look like photos of Acer italicum, a tree I have never actually seen

Lyn
02/07/2014 at 19:46

Bracken around here is becoming an absolute pest.  Its carcinogenic, I believe, and its destroying the wild flowers along the lanes. There are great chunks of it and no flowers at all

It killed large chunks of our conifer hedge, not that I wanted it anyway, but I hate the plant.

02/07/2014 at 20:07

I think the maple is field maple, Acer campestre. It seems the most likely. A rare one is unlikely and it's not sycamore or Norway m

02/07/2014 at 20:09
The hazel is right, theres tons of em round here
02/07/2014 at 20:33

I thought it was

02/07/2014 at 20:52

I think you should destroy the bracken, especially with little ones about. You could dig it up if it is a small area, or keep it cut to ground level to weaken it to death eventually. During the school hold. a good dose of a strong weedkiller would be my best bet.

02/07/2014 at 21:16

They aren't allowed to use chemicals in school gardens, just slave labour. 

I don't think it's field maple, I have that in my hedge and the leaves are much smaller. Maple leaves usually have a small point at the end of each fingery bit (technical term there) if you look closely.  I actually think it looks like some sort of fig, probably totally wrong but that was my initial thought.

02/07/2014 at 21:24

Agreed, Mrs. G., that is definitely not a field maple, well not a bog standard one anyway. Arguably not a wildlife garden type plant at all? Surely unless a wildlife garden is restricted to British wildlife plants and flowers the real value of the learning is lost?

02/07/2014 at 21:40

Mrs G fig was my first thought as well but I discarded it as an unlikely plant in a school wildlife garden. A few more photos of that one would be good Stipa

02/07/2014 at 21:46

Ah but schools will accept whatever freebies you give them.  I planted a fig in the last school I taught at because I had one spare and I thought the birds could eat the fruit. New fig growth is fairly brittle, can you snap a bit off easily?  Maples tend to be more flexible.  Fig leaves are also much thicker and fleshier than maple.

02/07/2014 at 21:59

Yes, I don't suppose much gets turned down unless it's poisonous

02/07/2014 at 23:25
With due respects to everyone. Are you quite sure about Bracken. Often called Hard Fern. I spent years working in ancient woodlands, and holidaying and roaming the New Forest. Bracken was rife. I have a couple of this fern, whatever it might be called, in my garden. It's a real show stopper. I have to admit. Ferns are not one of my specialities, however my plants look very similar to those pictured, and nothing like bracken. I stand corrected if need be.
Lyn
03/07/2014 at 01:50

Good post Mike, I live on the edge of Dartmoor where they used to burn it off, because it kills everything, and I think its poisonous to sheep, havent seen it done for a few years now, dont think they are allowed, but it definitely killed off chunks of our conifer, it s not the same as the ferns and the spores can cause cancer, I wouldnt have it around children when it releases them. 

1 to 20 of 32 messages