Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help

hi i need help i love foxgloves and know i had a couple last year but suddenly my soil seems overrun with what looks like foxglove leaves but i dont think they are, one of them was quite fuzzxy and stung a bit when i touched the leaf. the other one feels very velvety can anyone advise please

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

If it stings its a nettle. You may have some foxgloves mixed up with it. Have you a photo?

• We'll the one that stung isn't a foxglove but the other one probably is. A picture would help. To post one click on the green tree icon above the dialogue box.

• dodododo Posts: 48

hello im sorry i dont know how to put a photo on computor but when hubby comes home i will ask him to do it, the leaves look just like a foxglove . thanks for speedy response appreciated

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I should think fidget is right. You have foxgloves but with a nettle or two lurking amongst them

In the sticks near Peterborough

hi again here are some photos of the plants ,the plant that felt fuzzy and did sting abit unfortunatly my hubby had dug them out  the other day. hope you can see from the pcs what they are cheers.

• The second pic looks like a foxglove, but the first and third look more like comfrey.  Were the leaves prickly rather than stingy?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

thanks for the info, the other 2 plants that you say mauybe comfrey have very soft velvety type leaves , but the ones hubby dug out looked just like the comfrey leaves but felt prickly all over the leaf and when i tried to piull one out the stems really seemed to sting so much i dropped the plant , that is why hubby dug them out rather than attempt to pull them out.

• Sounds like it could be alkanet, or pentaglottis. They look very similar to the foxglove leaf, but have a very deep thick taproot and leaves and stems with very fine sharp hairs on them.