Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

here i am again

my lawn looks awful, thin grass, bare muddy patches, its fed and scarified....what now please

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

It is still early March, so lawn is not the best looking yet but you can get the prep done now to improve things. It sounds like there is a lot of traffic in some areas - as you have thin and or muddy patches. So I would sow with grass seed for high traffic areas as you have already fed and scarified. Have you top dressed with sand to help with compacted areas?

• thank you for your advice, I actually have Green Thumb grass experts who come every so often, they scarified and treated lawn in Autumn, I thought the already poor thin patchy grass would get thiscker and healthier, but, it hasnt blair...so I need to seed and put lawn sand on, do I mow the grass first?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Patience!  Grass isn't going to improve over the winter months but at least the scarifying and autumn treatment will help it not get worse.

Grass starts growing again when temps get to 8C so wait another month to sow new seeds when it will be warm enough for them to germinate and grow.  Until then, keep the grass cut to about 2" when it does start growing so there is enough leaf to feed the roots and make them stronger.

As the grass thickens up in the warmer weather you can cut it down to 1.5" which will help it deal with drought in dry spells.  Any shorter and you will leave it weak and open to competition from weeds and moss.   Spring and autumn scarifying should be done before sowing any new seed.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Denise, if the Green Thumbs guys are doing what the Lawnhopper guys did for my "lawn" in my previous house - you should be in for a pleasant surprise in a few months time.

'My' team basically turned up about every 3  months and did a feed / weed / moss treatment appropriate for the time of year and they came in to do a one-off scarify / aerate treatment. The lawn looked absolutely dreadful after that first treatment and also after the first moss treatment (about 40% went black!). 

But I / they persisted and within a year they had turned around a muddy, weed infested, mossy patch with a bit of grass in it to a rather nice green carpet - not perfect but good enough for a country garden. Yes - I could have done the work myself but it was a large area and I know I would not have kept up the treatment regime. It also worked out cheaper to pay them to come and do it with bulk purchased chemicals than to do it myself with packets from the GC - so why would I? (and they always came back a couple of weeks later to make sure each treatment had worked with reapplication to areas where it was needed - free of charge).

I thought it was an excellent service and will be using them again when I've finished cutting borders and hard landscaping in the field I currently call a lawn. image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Thank you all, yes I am inpatient I will wait now and let the experts do their stuff.