Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Heron deterants

BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Does anyone out there have a heron deterrent system that is working!

I really don't want to have the pond netted and the electric fence is equally unattractive!

However the monsters are prowling and it wont be long before they start taking fish if we do not protect them.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

A,a plastic Heron (they don't like company) B,dead twigs of pyracanthia placed around the pool (if you have no children) or a c.d.disc you hate on hanging from  a branch.image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Beagles......work a treat and also good for chasing away crows image

Seriously though, my friends had a problem with them a couple of years ago and they killed all their fish, I think they put a grid thing over the pond but it must be at or just below water level as you can't see it, they did that because they have a grand child too now though so it is dual purpose.

• BriggsyBriggsy Posts: 71

Thanks all.

I have spotted a spiders web style surface barrier which the heron in theory can not stand on as it sinks or peck through so will give it go.

So far a bog standard garden net is doing the trick and the Heron is sulky as he can not get through, but once the landscaping is complete something a little more attractive is in order.