London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
17 messages
08/04/2013 at 19:32

First of all apologies if I've put this in the wrong place. I just wanted to introduce myself.

Hi everyone. I'm Mark and have decided to join this great forum after perusing it the last few days.

I've been a keen gardener for the last twenty years or so and most of my spare time is taken up by my small garden and my other interests of bonsai and photography.

I have a small garden around twenty metres by ten metres, but it is jam-packed full of pots. I have a particular interest in japanese maples (hence my forum name), specimen conifers and bulb planting for the different seasons. I've also recently started growing from seeds in a couple of cheap growhouses I bought to protect my small japanese maples.

I love gardening and the feeling it gives you when you sit down outdoors after working all day.

I hope to gain some great advice and hopefully I can contribute something to the forum.

Mark

08/04/2013 at 19:47

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.  Don't have the patience for bonsai, but do love bulbs for almost-instant colour.  My favourites are lillies.  Oh, and Nerines.

08/04/2013 at 19:51

Hi from the SE Mark.  Just enjoy gardening, when the weather's fine.  Been a lovely 2 days.

08/04/2013 at 20:09

Welcome Mark.

Japanese maples and photography - interests of mine too.

08/04/2013 at 20:13

Hi Mark - joined this thread as I am saving my pennies for an Osakazuki !  Aim is to get it in before the autumn, so I get to enjoy the colours.  So any acer advice you can give will be devoured enthusiastically  

I'm with you on the "life after work" thoughts - I am so glad the clocks have gone forward !!

08/04/2013 at 20:30

Hi Mark, I've not been on this forum very long but have found it very informative and quite often has a few laughs thrown in.   I tend to pick the brains of those with more experienced but one day hope to be able to offer some sound advice.  I too love japanese maples, I have one planted in the garden and another tiny one in a pot which I'm nuturing at the moment and hope to include more in my garden as it develops.

08/04/2013 at 20:45

Good evening Mark. I hope you are well and warm 

Im Sam. Im a keen gardener but not the best on info so I usually ask daft questions. I dont tend to follow the books I follow my heart where my plants are concerned. Im a pain in the arse in the garden because if I dont like something...I move it there and then. My plants have to be very hardy and be prepared to move on a whim. Welcome 

08/04/2013 at 20:50
Welcome Mark, We love to share knowledge and gardening experiences. Always lots of questions and answers on here.
08/04/2013 at 20:51

Welcome Mark- I'm sure you will find this a great place to get info

08/04/2013 at 22:23

Hi and welcome Mark I to am a newbie I love photgraphy to and all aspects of gardening .

But never tried Bonsai so will be takign on board your knowledge.

08/04/2013 at 22:47

hi mark and welcome

09/04/2013 at 18:04

Hi Mark welcome to the forum. You will deffinately get plenty of advice on here. There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum and you will always get a good reply and everyone is very friendly no matter how often you come on here. I too love Japanese Maples and most of my garden is in pots which makes it so easy to weed. 

09/04/2013 at 22:56
Hiya mark. Welcome.
I'm in the far S W.
You will be a great addition here for,me......I want to try my hand at bonsai sometime.
My passion is for hellebores, tender perennials, agastaches, veg growing, fruit growing, grasses........well everything
Beware, there is a lot of sensible advice here but the women folk speak too sometimes.......oops! I'll get my coat
09/04/2013 at 23:01
Think I'm going to regret that last remark...........just recovering from hallucinatory lurgy
09/04/2013 at 23:01

if it was"nt for us women verdun you wouldent know where to plant the plants,and who would make the tea and biccys then 

09/04/2013 at 23:03

then we will forgive you if you are having a senior moment,have a lay down and put your feet up.

10/04/2013 at 08:46
Ok Chica....I am a silly billy sometimes Ha ha
email image
17 messages