London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
8 messages
18/02/2014 at 19:40

Does hollyhock queeny come true from seed. its one of the dwarf types that only grows 60cm. I cant find my seeds off last year and the one I grew flowered brilliantly. I have just collected loads of seeds of this plant but am not sure if its a hybrid or will come true to seed.

18/02/2014 at 20:21

It will be a hybrid or a cultivar. Anything called Queeny isn't a species so will not seed true. However, it may be close or you may get something else interesting

18/02/2014 at 20:37

yeah I know I was thinking of taking a chance. Ill have another look for my seeds and if I cant find them will take a chance.

18/02/2014 at 20:44

Sow them Cairnsie. All the colour and size genes will be there, it might be interesting.

are the original plants still there, aren't they perennials?

18/02/2014 at 20:48

yes its still there the reason im growing another is all my lupins are sprouting bar one and im planning ahead incase its not going to come back to replace the lupin. I really liked the hollyhock last year. Definitely something I would recommend growing along with a variety of magic fountain delphinium I grew. Both flowed well first year in both my garden and the many I grew for my parents garden. Both hollyhock and delphinium are sprouting new shoots aswell so look to have survived.

18/02/2014 at 20:54

I have a serious rust problem. If I try to grow hollyhocks they show rust on the first true leaves, even the ones with so-called rust resistance. 

I love hollyhocks

18/02/2014 at 21:05

Well so far so good. Just hope it doesn't start to show up. I love full size ones but my garden is too small.

20/02/2014 at 16:10

Sadly hollyhock rust is a serious difficulty here, and you rarely see any plant without some - in fact, many people treat them as annuals just for that reason, as the rust in the first season can be less.  There are one or two types of rooted plugs you can buy which say they are rust free - I suppose it depends how bad it is in your soil. 

I stopped growing several different plants because of local problems, the lupin aphid stopped all of that group here, and grey mould on monada - no matter what you do it is  everywhere and just comes back.  I note my beloved tall eryngiums have rust most years, at the bottom of the plant mostly, so grow lots of smaller annuals at their feet to cover much of it.  Where there's a will ………… 

email image
8 messages