London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
2 messages
07/02/2014 at 21:55

I have just answered another writer's problem on holding cloches down and I suddenly thought, at this time of year maybe  others might be interested to know how I make my own cloches/polytunnels.

I cut 4 old hosepipe into lengths each about a metre long and put short lengths of bamboo cane into each end and push them into the ground a couple of feet apart to make "hoops". Then I drape the fleece or clear plastic over the hoops and hold the edges of the material down with bricks or scrumple them up and peg it into place.

It's cheap and it works for me.

08/02/2014 at 15:08

After a Season at the Farmer's Markets I often find myself with cracked Plastic Storage boxes 3' x 2' - Rather than throw them away, I use them to cover tender seed rows, and in particular onion sets during the first few weeks  It doesn't matter if they get frosted or brittle through sunlight., because they would only have been thrown away earlier anyway, and I have been able to get them to last 3 Seasons so far. My only problem is that they are quite shallow, so only really serve well until seedlings are about 3/4inches high, but then they are usually able to be lifted off anyway. 

email image
2 messages