London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
4 messages
09/09/2013 at 11:59

Hi, I,m new to the site and need some info regarding my Honeysuckle , I,m dont know what sort of care I have to give it through the winter months, do I need to prune it and if so how far back, it is still in flower at the moment and has been laden with blooms.

09/09/2013 at 13:35
Hi Sheila Go RHS honey suckle its wot you need
clk
09/09/2013 at 14:11

Looking at the RHS website, the following seems to suggest that your honeysuckle falls into the first category, so spring would be the time to tidy it up:

Honeysuckles flowering on the current season’s growth, such as Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle), do not require regular pruning. Simply control the growth by cutting back any overlong shoots in spring. Also thin out congested growth and remove weak or damaged stems.

Honeysuckles that flower early in the season, on short side shoots on the previous year's growth, such as Lonicera periclymenum (common honeysuckle), should be pruned back by about one-third in late summer immediately after flowering.

Renovate climbers by hard pruning to 60cm (2ft) from the ground in early spring. Thin out vigorous re-growth and tie in the new shots.

clk
09/09/2013 at 16:27

Thankyou for your advice.

email image
4 messages