16/08/2012 at 18:55

I have bags of well rotted horse manure

1. Do I spread it on top of the earth now

2. Do I dig it into the bed now

3. Do I store it as I am doing in bags until later

4.If yes when do I spread it

5.Do I add it to my 2 week old composter

16/08/2012 at 20:34

It depends what sort of garden you have and what you are growing and want to grow in the future.

16/08/2012 at 22:06

Its an allotment and I got it in January this year

I have grown beans , peas , potatoes , carots , parsnips and leeks

Its to put on the bare earth ( after I have pulled up all this years growth )  for possible planting of all vegetables from Winter onwards

17/08/2012 at 09:04

Decide where you're going to grow your potatoes next season, and manure and dig into that plot, then leave for the winter frosts to break down the soil.

As for the rest, I would stack it and cover it for the winter.  In the spring when you've planned out what you're going to grow and where I would spread it and dig it in over your allotment, except where you are going to plant root vegetables.  

Root vegetables do not do well in freshly manured ground, but by the following season the areas you manured the previous season will be fine for them.

I use a bit more on the area where I'm going to grow beans, to improve the structure of the soil and aid water retention.

Brassicas (cabbage family) do not do well in freshly manured soil, but the addition of a little lime can counteract this.  However you can't grow potatoes on land that has been previously limed as they will get scab - that is why it's important to plan where you grow things and understand a bit about crop rotation. 

Information on these sites should be helpful:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=124

http://www.allotment.org.uk/grow-your-own/allotments/crop-rotation/three-part-crop-rotation

If it's not clear ask away, there's loads of people on here only too glad to help 

I suppose I ought to add that some people worry about using stable manure, because of the risk of getting oat seeds in the manure.  It doesn't worry me on a veg patch as they're easy enough to hoe out.  It would be more difficult if I used it in a herbaceous border.

There have also been concerns because some straw has been treated with a herbicide which remains in the soil and affects the plants grown in it although I think that this is less of a problem than it has been.  For your own peace of mind it would probably be good to check with the person supplying your manure, but there are probably other people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than me about this.

17/08/2012 at 09:51

Cooo....very helpful.

I will consider the above over the w/e

Many thanks Vic or is it Bob

17/08/2012 at 10:01

No probs - hope it's helpful and best of luck with growing stuff.

We're big fans here, plus we have pigeons in the garden , but 'fraid it'd have to be Victoria or Roberta

12/10/2012 at 17:13

Hi  I have an allotment where we are lucky to have a large heap of stable manure ,

its often all used up by the end of march and if one is not quick none left all cleaned up real smart, I used some a few year ago and spread it all over one piece of ground 2inches thick in october, and dug it in early march with little weed growth other than some thistles that just pulled up with no struggle, but I wondered if the weed growth the following years were due to that manuring from the years before, I did wonder at the time just how old the stuff was, I do realise it should be 6 months or more if poss, and as for the manure having some sort of hebiside on it some people on my allotments had a problem and their spuds looked just like they had blight , a sample was sent off and it was confirmed about the stuff that was sprayed onto the grass that is for the horses grazing is to keep down broadleaf growth, sorry I seem to have gone on rather a lot,  Jim

12/10/2012 at 17:20

Hi Jim

I am piecing together a fuller story re horse manure

Got some 4 months ago and just spread it on a couple of my beds to sink in over the autumn

Will get some more soon and experiment with 1. spread some now 2. Spread it in new year 3. spread it just before i sow / plant

Thanks for your input

NewBoy

04/09/2013 at 14:06

Why do we have to use Manure on our plots anyway,as far as im concerned it just gives you more problems later with weed.Surely veg can grow quiete well without any manure.

04/09/2013 at 21:38

You can grow things in pure sand or other substrate if necessary.  manure helps to bind sand together, holds clay particles apart, and holds nutrients.Or you could grow it all hydroponically.

04/09/2013 at 21:42

You don't 'have to' anything Jonboy. Your garden, your choice

10/07/2014 at 20:04

is it ok to manure in july

10/07/2014 at 20:08

If its well rotted and you're laying it on vacant land , Yes. using as a mulch now is likely to lead to too much soft growth.

What do you want to use it on.?

10/07/2014 at 21:00

Hi ! what about tomato beds in greenhouse ? do I put manure in them when I pull my tom plants (oct'ish) or wait till spring or not , soz to butt in . cheers

10/07/2014 at 21:03

and.. horse or cow ? what's diff ?

10/07/2014 at 21:14

I'd go with horse myself and work lightly in in winter, don't know about cow.

10/07/2014 at 23:17
There are several schools of thought on this subject. Please bare with me. The use of horse/stable manure is good, also cow pats. I had a friend with a fuchsia nursery in Kent, and he confessed. All his stock was grown in neat cow dung. A quick take on the substance of horse or cow dung. In the main. The digested and then deposited remains, are full of natural pasture etc. With stable manure. Usually the bulk of it is straw. Quantity wise. Straw vs dung. Dung plays a small part. Now to time of use/application. The term, well rotted. I have to admit. I have never carried out a test to determine the best time, ripeness or otherwise. Well rotted. That suggests to me, that most if not all the goodness has drained out of the mass. So one is left with a fibrous mass. This added to the garden will help to add just that..mass, a form of binding etc. Useful as a mulching addative. So one must ask. Do I wish to bulk up the soil etc or do I wish to add loads of natural nutriments to the soil. Let's choose the latter. So on the plot. You have just harvested a crop of whatever. Now spread your manure over it. Leave it for some time. I say this because, if the manure is fresh, the animal acids can be quite strong. Give it a week or so. Then dig it in. Should you however wish to add a little flavour to growing crops. At whatevet stage. A minimal layer between rows will do no harm. I have practiced this and only found good results.
email image
17 messages