London (change)
Fri 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
8 messages
23/03/2013 at 20:44

I am very frustrated to find that it is near impossible to get this locally (Sussex) unless you buy whopping great dumpy bags of it and at a huge cost. All I want is normal non decorative stuff in decent sized bags not weedly little ones which re decorative and cost a fortune. I need good normal horti-grit to lighten my soil and add drainage. I want it available now. 

Why is it so difficult....nowhere has it in stock, not DIY stores, builders merchants or garden centres. Its frustrating me...so many hurdles.

23/03/2013 at 20:51

I don't know why this is so difficult. The little bags called horticultural grit are a bit too coarse for my purposes. Alpine grit is what i need and can't find locally. I have had aquarium gravel but it's really too expensive to use it a lot. I only want it to cover the germinating seeds and mix a bit in with the compost.

23/03/2013 at 20:58

Amazon sell several different horticultural grits and it gets delivered to your door 

23/03/2013 at 21:00

Never considered online. thought the delivery charge would be too great. I'll take a look. Thanks Dove.

23/03/2013 at 21:02
23/03/2013 at 21:02

To be honest I can't remember what I paid - it came in a box about 2ft x 2ft x2ft - a bit heavy, had to get OH to take it into the garage for me, but the delivery wasn't extortionate - I wouldn't have bought it if it was - if you take all  your effort of finding it and driving out there and bringing it home, fuel costs etc, when you could be gardening ......................... 

24/03/2013 at 07:48

Thats what I was looking at Geoff, I had seen it in B&Q website but whenever Carol Klein uses grit (which she seems to put on everything) it always seems like a coarser grit, but I think you could get a standard 10ml grit from quite a few places. 

24/03/2013 at 21:22

A couple of years ago I had 40 bags delivered from a company called "Dandys" based Cheshire/Welsh borders if I remember correctly. Delivery was free (a special offer at the time) which was marvellous for such a heavy & bulky order (especially for up here, where many delivery companies fear to tread..... ) 

The bags are about the size of a pillow & the grit is about 6mm, initially I wanted to open up the soil a bit & now use them a lot when planting up pots - get very little moss now.

email image
8 messages