London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 11°C
6 messages
24/03/2013 at 14:31
Does anyone else get as frustrated as I do with plastic items for use in the garden? I've just been cleaning pots and trays in readiness for the new season and a large number are starting to disintegrate, presumably because they are bio-degradable in some form. Plastic cloches and mini-greenhouses also disintegrate after only a few years, and whilst being a fan of bio-degradable plastic when used elsewhere, such as shopping bags, it does seem odd the amount of garden equipment that breaks down in a short time. Most gardeners, by the very nature of their hobby, are environmentally-aware and I would be interested to know whether other growers seem to be suffering as much as I have lately.
Lyn
24/03/2013 at 14:42

I have been sorting out as well, the number of pots that have just snapped,  with regards to the plastic greenhouses, I find the wind rips them or the zips go, I have bought lots of replacement covers in the past, never kept one long enough to disintegrate.

The seed trays (of which I shouldn't have bought cheap ones) split as soon as you pick them up.

24/03/2013 at 15:25

yes,a lot of plastic after a time breaks and splits not as good as terracotta or wood but nothing lasts for ever ,and I hate seeing bits of plastics and labels lying around that don't break down and disappear but stay forever in the ground.

24/03/2013 at 15:52

Apparently most of these things are made from polypropylene which tends to become hard, unflexible and brittle after being exposed to sunlight/weather for a certain length of time unless they contain UV-stabilizers. I suspect most gardening stuff does not contain this to keep the price down. We used have PP ropes on our boat which just frayed and disintegrated after a couple of years outside.

24/03/2013 at 15:52
Perhaps the answer is to spend a bit more money and buy quality - but it's still a bit of a gamble. It's just annoying that so many trays and pots need replacing. Flowering rose has same problem as me, bits of plastic dotted around - perhaps I was wrong earlier as the bits don't seem to 'bio-degrade' any further!
24/03/2013 at 16:18

And you will notice that the recycle emblem is missing on most seed trays

S they go into land fill kind of defeats the purpose

Derek

email image
6 messages