Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hosta

I received the gw offer this month of bare root hostas. I have put them in pots and they are outside. Looking out this morning two of them already have leaves poking up. I am a novice gardener but even i know thats not right. I assume i should just leave them and hopefully they will be ok next year. Has anybody else had this problem ?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

They'll be fine, Welcome to the wonderful world of hostas.

Devon.
  • Do you think they will die back and regrow  or just carry on growing ?

it'll die back when it gets a chill.

Devon.
  • We did have a bad frost last night, first of the year. I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for the advice.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

i would recommend you put some grit in the pots now to deter the slugsimage

I think the slugs have probably gone to bed for the winter now. I have about 300 hostas of around 100 varieties ( I've never counted them ) They fend for themselves over the winter.

Devon.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478

Slugs found a couple up the allottment yesterday ! It has been pretty mild so far image

I have a lovely bed of Hosta and very little damage due to the grit , I got a self sown one in another bed and that is just eaten alive in the summer , I like to think it sackrifies it self for the others image

we're blessed to live in the SW though Verdun.

Devon.