London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
6 messages
06/06/2014 at 20:04
Hi I was given a large amount of black bamboo which had been out of soil for a few days. I was told to soak it overnight in organic root gel and then to pot into compost pots. The leaves were already dry and falling off and there was no green leaves left. I decided to cut back the bamboo to about 30cm high removing all of the twiggy bits from the canes. Having done all of this I'm now worried that the plant may not survive from all the stress. I have 10 large pots full and there were some good clumps of roots when potted but wonder if anyone could tell me how to tell if it's still alive? Many thanks any suggestions tips greatly appreciated!
06/06/2014 at 20:11

Keep them well watered and wait for the new shoots to show. Bamboo is difficult to kill at the best of times, being out of the soil for a few days isn't enough to kill it. Just be patient.

06/06/2014 at 21:11

And it is very unlikely to shoot from the old canes, but should send up new shoots from the roots, once they are growing happily.  That may take a while though.

06/06/2014 at 21:41
Thank you so much, that's very helpful & reassuring! I'm wondering if bamboo (especially at this stage) would benefit from being positioned in the sun or would it be happier in the shade?
Many thanks
06/06/2014 at 23:31

For most woody type plants.  A gentle scratch with the thumbnail at the outer surface of branch or twig.  If alive.  It will be green and moist.  Otherwise it's dead.  For longer branches etc.  Gradually cutting back can give you a clue.  The uppermost growth might look dead.  Snip it back until you come to green undergrowth.

07/06/2014 at 10:33

A semi shaded position would be best Jemtomato.

email image
6 messages