London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
12 messages
28/03/2013 at 21:36
When I first started gardening I looked at the brightest, brashest, loudest flowers. Then I began to appreciate foliage....Coloured, variegated, etc., ferns, conifers ( the dwarf or choicer ones) Next it was for subtlety ....complementary colours rather than just contrasting ones....followed by shape and form and then ornamental grasses. Now I like some loud colours again....just a few to jolt the eye...but appreciate more the association of complementary colours, the mixture of spikes, the movement of grasses (whether trembling in the slightest breeze or their billowing in the wind as well as their whispering sound) Some plants that I once liked are now disliked and rejected. Have your tastes changed? What do you appreciate now that maybe once you did not? Just "age", whim or signs of the development....heaven forbid...of a snob?
28/03/2013 at 21:43

youy are my complete opposite V. i started with foliage only. all shades of green.now i am seduced by all things bright and beauntiful. dahlias in the summer. just now lolly pop primroses.. 

28/03/2013 at 21:49
EvergreenQueen, that sounds just lovely. Lolly pop primroses sound good. May get some over the Easter weekend
28/03/2013 at 21:53

morrisons have them V. £2. especially the white ones they cheer up a the garden big style just now....

28/03/2013 at 22:11
Going there Tomorrow Evergreen Queen. Hoping to get some cheap chocs n flowers for my old mum's birthday on......wait for it.....April 1st.
Isnt life scripted badly at times? It's her birthday the day after her daughter died at 32. Laugh or cry????
So, getting flowers on Sunday for a remembrance and some a day later for a celebration!!!!
28/03/2013 at 22:22

aahh life is fine balance between laughing and crying i think. we all do it in diffferent measure. thank life for wat we had rather than we didnt. and thank god for gardening!!!!

28/03/2013 at 23:10

Funnily enough, I think my tastes haven't changed. I love roses, penstemons, delphiniums, campanulas, phlox. I don't like grasses, never have. They have no colour worth speaking of, no decent flowers and they remind me of weeds. Verdun will hate me for that! Sorry Verdun

28/03/2013 at 23:38
That's ok busy lizzie. Lots of people don't like grasses .....until they see them in full flower. I have stipa gigantea, the golden oat grass. It gets to about 7 or 8 feet with golden yellow flower heads that look fantastic with the sun on or behind them. People then ask what is that fantastic,plant? At the back of a border or in the middle it is tall but see through, light and airy. No flowers? Stipa Tennuissima ihas beautiful flowers that have been there all winter....cut them down today to allow new growth. hordeum jubatum has shades of pink, purple, beige and sways over the static perennials alongside. Try one busy lizzie and you I'll be hooked. My garden is full of evergreen grasses too in shades of eucalyptus/metallic blue to red to green to yellow. They show life and movement in a garden otherwise devoid of it. Convinced now, busy lizzie? I thought so
29/03/2013 at 07:53
Stipa Gigantea's truly lovely, but needs space. I gave mine to a friend, it's lovely to see it thriving in it's new home. The tenuissimas are much more in scale in my garden, have a few dotted around, I love watching them dance in the wind. Had a Miscanthus Rotsilber which got too big too, found I was having to dig it up every year, hack off a bit and replant it...so that's gone to a new home too. Can't be doing with plants I'm always fighting with, no matter how lovely they are.
Over the last couple of years I've got much more interested in growing veg than ornamentals, which doesn't mean I want to turn the garden into an allotment, I really enjoy the challenges of aesthetic and productive veg growing.
29/03/2013 at 09:04

Don't like wishy washy colours or fussy planting. At the risk of offending almost everyone who gardens - I don't really like roses unless it's climbers/ramblers or the old damask types as I love the shape. I prefer architectural plants and dark purples, whites and greens -textures rather than colours. Grasses (sorry LIzzie!) Don't like bedding plants either...sorry everyone!  but that's mainly because of the way they get used, and particularly dislike  the 'hanging basket' thing....sorry!! Verdun - I know what you mean about timing - flowers and chocs. It gets a bit easier as we go along though doesn't it 

29/03/2013 at 09:17

I did try growing purple pennisetum once. 3 plants, they had about 3 flowers each and died in the winter. I was told it would look like this:

http://studydroid.com/imageCards/card-3479068-front.jpg

29/03/2013 at 09:46

The garden in London that I had for 27 years was a temple to 'good taste'. I've had enough of that, now in Norfolk it isn't discreet foliage any more, it's loads of blue, white and orange with a little salmon pink! Not forgetting yellow and ....

email image
12 messages