London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 39 messages
10/04/2013 at 21:46
I have recently sown some seeds and as yet have seen nothing! How long dies the following usually take to germinate with you. My seeds are in the conservatory and there is a heater in there for overnight...... ??? sweet pea ???dwarf red dahlia seed (self collected) ??? perennial lobelia ???sugar Ann sugar snap pea ??? courgette green bush ???tomato seeds self collected By the way I love this forum, makes gardening more interesting talking and sharing. I'm definitely an addict to gardening now!
10/04/2013 at 21:58

How recent is recently Red?

There's nothing you can take for gardening addiction, you just have to live with it. 

10/04/2013 at 22:02
Sweet peas were first on 29march. God I even have a diary of when sown and when germinated, I think it's getting me!!

I need to get my plastic conservatory up. I would love a real greenhouse but unsure if I have enough space for one!

I even shot out of work early to get pots to grown on my cuttings!! I bought 26 at 9p each and then ended up spending 33.59!!!!!! Ooops
10/04/2013 at 22:25

I'd give the sweetpeas a bit longer, I have found with sweetpeas if the conditions are right they will mostly germinate. Not grown the others This is my first year of growing veg.

Growing from seed is brilliant

10/04/2013 at 22:41
HH - I find it so rewarding when they germinate and then they change so fast. I have done marigolds before and climbing beans and carrots but always left the rest to family and garden centres!!! Just wish I had a greenhouse!

At the rate I'm going though I will have a garden full and some to give away!!!

Stupidly the ones I want to germinate the most are the dwarf red dahlia. What's the betting that some expert tells me that this seed is normally infertile! Will be v sad if it doesn't come as all my cuttings died off so it will be lost!!
10/04/2013 at 22:43

I should think the dahlias will germinate Red, might not be quite as the parent plant. Might be better.

10/04/2013 at 23:14
Do you know how long dahlias normally take?? I really really hope so,
10/04/2013 at 23:50

have you got any way to check the soil temperature? Seems many seeds like 15-20 degrees. I found that having them in the greenhouse they just sat there but in the warmth of my heated propagator i could get action in 24-48 hours. my box is a bit rough it gets a sheet of plastic on it from the evening to the morning usually the soil temp is around 20 degrees and in the day the plastic comes off and is slightly cooler but gets the light to the seedlings which are through.

I've just switched to having my pots standing in a little water which is drawn up through the compost the seeds seem to like that. My chilli plants seem to have responded. cling film or a plastic cover increases humidity and that can help too. 

You don't need to be fancy when it comes to heating pots I started with two blocks of wood a sheet of glass for the trays to sit on and a lamp on it's side underneath with a 11watt cfl bulb. Just enough heat to warm the soil. Even a cfl bulb is giving off 80% heat. Even a card board box providing the low energy bulb isnt touching it could be enough to hold a pot. A seed tray might be ok to be suspended above a bulb.

http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Seedlings/Seedlings1.htm

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg1115.html  says 70 -80 F thats 21 -26 degrees C and 7 - 21 days. Also recommends plastic to cover the pot. It is likely your dahlia seed is too cold to germinate, on the positive side if you can get the heat up enough then it probably will be very fast. Hope this helps. On the top at the back of a fridge is a recommended place.

11/04/2013 at 00:07
Will get the thermometer in the conservatory. Just stuck the tip in my dahlia tray. It's sitting on some of that fabric capillary matting and I water from the bottom. It's currently reading 15degrees but the heater hasn't come on yet. In the day it's rather warm in there. The sun hits it and when I get home it's toasty warm. Will try and check the heat in the morning and when I get in from work.
11/04/2013 at 03:40

As long as you can get the soil temperature and not the air temperature, they can be quite different. Dahlia's from what I have read hail from mexico which probably explains their liking for heat. There is a lot that germinates at 15 -20 so you should do well with many seeds but i'm thinking you need a bit more for the Dahlia to be comfy.

11/04/2013 at 06:46

I just love the word "furtle"!

I sowed sweet pea seeds in Feb - all have been in the same conditions - about half came up in a fortnight but the others are still appearing one by one now.

11/04/2013 at 07:15

RD-furtle 

My sweet peas were sown at end of March too RD but they had a bit of help from the radiator under the window sill they were on so only took about a week. They'll be fine I'm sure as they will just take a little longer if they've had less heat. Haven't grown any of the others but I'm sure blackest knows what he's talking about! I mostly have lettuce and basil on the go and a few sunflowers etc and they're all fine with this method. The tomatoes I've sown have come on fine which I'm really pleased about. Need one of those little greenhouses too!

Happy furtling!!

11/04/2013 at 07:47
Love furtle too!!!

Soil temp is 13 this morning. Will throw some cling film over before I leave for work! I soooo want them to come.
11/04/2013 at 08:11
Furtle was a word I used in my younger days when being a bit mischievous. I agree it's a lovely word.
Red dahlia, everything will be fine.....up to now the temps have not been right but just watch over next week. Patience......just a tad more! (mind you, I'm exactly the same always checking germination and growth rates)
11/04/2013 at 08:13
* Red Dahlia * wrote (see)
Love furtle too!!!

Soil temp is 13 this morning. Will throw some cling film over before I leave for work! I soooo want them to come.

RD up here we use a special spoon for porridge called a spurtle. I wonder if you can 'furtle with a spurtle'....

11/04/2013 at 08:42
Fairygirl got to get me one of those!!!

Verdun - I'm alway mischievous, I was Asked not to garden in the house yesterday. He nipped out so in came compost cuttings and new pots and off I went!!!! I put down a sheet but he still wasn't too happy at me sat there in latex gloves with compost all over while watching tv!!
11/04/2013 at 08:43

i have a sopt above the radiator in the kichen which gets really warm and I usually put pots and trays there until they germinate and then put them on the conservatory windowsill (now that I no longer have a greenhouse.) Still haven't put up the cheap plastic one, though I've had bubble wrap at the ready to insulate it further.

11/04/2013 at 08:48
Red dahlia. Got your image now. If you were into motor bikes you would have the engine stripped out on the kitchen floor, table, chairs, etc , plus greasy face., with your partner anxiously peering,round the door looking for his tea.
I bet there's compost in your toaster. Ha ha
11/04/2013 at 14:03
Well if he tried to garden in the house I would have kittens. But if I want to do it I know I will be careful and not slap compost about or let the dog snort in the compost bucket and it go everywhere.

If he asks I took the torch to the shed!! Don't want to encourage bad behaviour!

Bought 2 skummia's abs 2 hebes yesterday and some soil improver for my ckayZ I got v excited when I opened the bag, its lovely black stuff. Soil improver excites me, I think I need to get out more!!
11/04/2013 at 15:30

RD-have you been on the glue sniffing?? Take it you mean Skimmias... Or were they manky ones??? 

Yes RD- out more!!

But you'd only do the same as me and go to a GC!!

Verd-compost in the toaster...tut tut....as if

1 to 20 of 39 messages