London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
18/06/2014 at 22:41

Well I have started so I will continue.  Familiar words from Mastermind.  Please forgive me, but I am in one of those teasing moods.  No offense meant.  Busy Bee.  Great avitar.  My ESP is still working well.  Now then....where was I?  Are yes!  This is such a great website.  Each day we learn a bit more about each other.  Some of us have been teachers, others have worked in garden centers etc. Some hav e been in the professional world.. Hospital consultants and vets...hey doc, mind where you are poking that thermometer.  All in all.  I am so glad that I signed upto this forum.  No Matron, please don't take my blue and yellow stipped pills away.  No. Seriously folks.  I have noticed tyhat many questions are asked. Then usually there comes a vast outwash of tecnical or botanical names etc.  C'mon now.  Be honest.  OK Mike is prepared to give a little leeway but.  I wonder.  In many answers.  Do all these botanical names just automatically roll off the tongue? In my case. I try my best to abstain from all the technical and scientific jargon.  So friends.  From reading a question from so and so.   On average.  How long does it take YOU to come up with an answer?  Help me Orhid Lady. They are chucking all sorts at me....help.

18/06/2014 at 22:53

I'm afraid the proper name for a plant just rolls off my tongue Mike

If I know the plant the name is there.

A plant might have several common names. A common name might be shared by several plants.

The binomial system has one name for one plant

18/06/2014 at 23:00

Why me Mike?  I know nothing  I know a few 'proper' names, usually plants that I have bought (eg Papaver Harlem or Geranium Himalayans...which is possibly wrong!) apart from that I know very few proper names.  I am trying but there is so much to take in and at the moment my brain is full with all sorts and I think my memory bit is full to the brim......I have had to resort to endless lists.  I'm not sure if that answers your question, if not I'll try again 

18/06/2014 at 23:10

I agree with Dove. I suppose it's years of reading gardening books, listening to GQT and watching Gardeners World, but I find Latin names easier to remember than the myriad of common names which differ depending where in the country - or world - you are. 

18/06/2014 at 23:11

My excuse is that I'm too young to know  But I am learning 

18/06/2014 at 23:27

Latin names are easier to remember and they are  international and logical, unlike common names.

18/06/2014 at 23:45

Names used to roll off my tongue. But nowadays they seem to roll off down behind the cushions at the back of my brain and get lost among the old bits of biscuit crumb.

19/06/2014 at 06:55

I have been known to completely mix them up, but generally, with some things I grow from seed, there is no common name,so I like the descriptive Latin binomial system.

19/06/2014 at 06:57
quercus_rubur wrote (see)

I agree with Dove. ..... 

You see, I've not posted yet but everyone on here's so clever that we know what the other's going to say 

And I agree with Quercus rubur and Nut, a bit of Latin from school means that the Latin names actually mean something to me (usually) and lots of listening to GQT and watching GW since the days of Percy Thrower, and of course, lots of reading of books etc.  means that the Latin names come to me just as easily if not more easily than the common names. 

Of course, I may well look it up to check the spelling!!! 

19/06/2014 at 07:01

I think that with anything you are interested in and have a passion about you absorb the information and learn it without even trying. The names are just there, in my head! 

19/06/2014 at 07:10

If there's room in your head potsandpansies, to a certain extent it do ends what else is going on.  I have a passion for my garden but some things just aren't sinking in right now.....doesn't mean I'm not interested though 

19/06/2014 at 07:14

OL, I think you'll find there's all sorts of gardening stuff sinking into your head at the moment - it's just the recall that can be dodgy when you're really busy with children, work etc.

I bet you'll find that when you're my age all sorts of stuff you're learning now without knowing it, will just trip off your tongue  

19/06/2014 at 07:17

You might have a point there Dove, it is being stored until I have room in the useful part of my brain  Thank you 

19/06/2014 at 07:19

I find that with brains there's infinite storage, it's the filing and retrieval that causes problems - just like with the DSS  

19/06/2014 at 07:35

nutcutlet summed it up perfectly with his / her ( sorry, don't know ) post. Common names can change from county to county, country to country, but the "proper" name is accepted everywhere. Until the International Plant Nomenclature Committee decide it's wrong and we need to change it. 

19/06/2014 at 08:02

Latin names roll off the tongue for me too.........used to,think it a little pompous but now it's natural ESP when a particular plant is required.

Nice post Mike.....made me chuckle. 

I too agree with Dove's next post 

KEF
19/06/2014 at 08:04

I know quite a few names, can see them in my head but don't always have the confidence to utter them. I read somewhere I think it was MrT who said that if you pronounced a plant name with enough confidence and got it wrong the person you were speaking to would believe you were right  

Common names can elude me for example stachys who many call lamb's tongue, ended up being called lamb's ears, must because I've never stroked a lamb's tongue. 

19/06/2014 at 08:04

Of course you do Verdun 

19/06/2014 at 08:48

I sometimes struggle to remember the common names....

19/06/2014 at 08:54

From being a child I always had a passion for animals and especially birds.The beauty of that is the fact a British bird's name is pretty universal across the UK.For instance a Meadow Pipit is a Meadow Pipit in Northumberland much as it is in Devon. But plants are a different kettle of fish,well no a kettle of plants.You know what I mean though,there can be a dozen localised names for a native plant so Latin names have to be the way forward. I'm still very much a learner cos when I was younger I found plants really boring. They just sat there and grew and chasing a rare bird seemed so much more exciting. I'm pleased to say I'm now finding plants to be fascinating in their own right and hugely satisfying to grow 

1 to 20 of 40 messages