London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 29 messages
27/05/2014 at 00:00

Well Mike tries to be up front and honest at all times.  A recent thread started by me entitled. How Safe is Your Garden.  Yes as a menmer sussed out.  I was embarking upon some research etc into the poisons that we plant and care for. Having studied homeopathy to a degree, and my general horticultural studies.  I was aware of many poisonous plants.  In fact. Practically all that we grow, including fruits and vegs.   Most of them contain numorous toxins and poisons.  Mike has got to honestly admit.  As much as I love research etc, perhaps my present medical condition might have some part to play.  Sadly, I find that I can't fulfill what I set out to do.  Please forgive me.  My intententions were of the highest degree. In my research. I have read through the papers etc of many notable scientists etc.  Then using the internet. I took a chance.  Wikiepedia.  Simply type in.  Poisonous plants.  There is a whole list.  Please, download it, and print it out.  Believe me.  It is of great value..  I am so sorry friends,that I failed in my venture.  Perhaps time and tide is scotching me up.  I do hope that the publication will prove to be of benfit to you all.  Mike.

27/05/2014 at 07:10

Mike - there's absolutely no point in re-inventing the wheel.  If the information is out there and you've shown us where it is, then 'Job Done' - tick it off the list 

27/05/2014 at 07:16

Mike you've not failed anything. You found a need for this information and then found that if we actually look its there. Job done.

Now if you need a job to do start practicing your signature to sign OLs copy of your gardening manual when you get that published!  

27/05/2014 at 09:15

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it 

Even though the information is available elsewhere, I still think it was a good idea for a book and would have made an enjoyable read. The subject matter is huge and written with anecdotes, old wives tales and humour I think would have been both informative and interesting...

I quit my job 6 months ago to write a novel, have only written about a quarter and have nothing like your excuse...better get myself into gear before my savings run out and it becomes another missed opportunity

I think you should keep your research so far and put it in the pending pile- you never know - you might come back to it at some point?

27/05/2014 at 10:10

Well Mike, you could say that I failed you on your original thread as I never even gave you my list of plants....mainly because I don't know what they all are and mainly a time constraint issue. No other excuse or reason and I don't have anything 'medically' wrong with me. So you should be forgiving me for not giving input!

Please don't worry about it or ponder on being defeated too much, you haven't let anyone down and as has already been said, you have told us where we can find the information so that's good enough.

You just concentrate on getting yourself better, everything else will wait until a time when you are fit enough. X

PS Agree with Clari's point if you get bored 

27/05/2014 at 10:57

A friend of mine is looking to adopt some children and she has been given a long list of poisonous plants that they are not allowed to grow in their garden. I don't really understand this recent worry about poisonous plants, if it really was a problem our species wouldn't be taking over the planet quite so successfully!

This is a link to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_poisonous_plants

Lyn
27/05/2014 at 11:52

The trouble these days Fleur, is that you mustnt tell children off for anything.

I was told as a child, dont touch the plants, especially the lupins and Laburnum, or else, well, you didnt want to know what the or else might be. I am still here as are my 90 year old parents. I dont think as youngsters they were particular about hand washing either. I have had alsorts in my gardenin the past, well, still have, I just told my kids you do not pick mummies flowers. 

I would draw the line at deadly nightshade though!!.

27/05/2014 at 13:29

..if anyone lives in north east England, or visiting Alnwick Gardens, then you might be interested in seeing their 'Poison Garden'...over 100 plants...amongst all the other attractions on offer there... perhaps a little alarmist..but useful to know I think...

...lots of children were there when I visited...perhaps on a school visit...

http://www.alnwickgarden.com/explore/whats-here/the-poison-garden

..not sure if that link works..but there you go..

27/05/2014 at 13:48

Yes, I keep meaning to visit Alnwick gardens- maybe on a day when there aren't any kids tho...

27/05/2014 at 14:09

Homeopathy uses poisons in tiny amounts anyway.  When I was told I had ulcerative colitis a homeopath gave me mercury.  But it is so dilute, a dilution of a dilution of a dilution I believe.  Foxgloves and lobelia seeds are meant to be poisonous aren't they? 

27/05/2014 at 17:00

I think a lot of seeds are poisonous, I wouldn't ever eat any anyway  I'm not even sure about eating sunflower seeds from my sunflowers.....do they not need to be treated or something first?

27/05/2014 at 17:39

OL..........providing you haven't sprayed your sunflowers with anything nasty, you can simply dry or toast them and eat them.  What would you treat them with ?  You eat your own veg without treating them.  Or at least I hope you do considering the time and TLC  you have expended on them this year.

On the subject of Poisonous plants and our ability to still exist despite them......I remember when I lived in Spain, I regularly passed a junior school which had large plantings of Ricinus communis outside the school gates.  Fabulous plants but poisonous seeds.  Having grown these plants myself, I confess I was a wee bit surprised to see them in that situation but OTOH, I never noticed a reduction in the children and the Continentals always seem to take a more laid back view on life anyway

I'd also be a little cautious in the info on Wikipeadia unless you can check elsewhere.....there are perhaps better sources  ?

27/05/2014 at 18:36

I see on the Alnwick site it says all their gardeners wear gloves? Should we be wearing gloves too do you think? It has never occurred to me that I might need to.I've got Foxgloves,Larkspur,Corn Cockle and Aquilegias  

27/05/2014 at 18:40

Thank you Philippa, now you've put it like that it makes sense. Some seeds you buy are heat treated, so wasn't sure if home grown ones needed to be heat treated  Anyway, in Autumn if the birds have left me any I'll give them a go 

27/05/2014 at 18:41

...I never wear gloves and I've planted Aconitums, Foxgloves and the rest...over the years...gloves just get in the way...a neighbour recently saw me gardening and said ''why aren't you wearing gloves?''...[rolls eyes]... however, I do agree that perhaps, we should...lol...

27/05/2014 at 19:08
Today I noticed our pond was looking a little low - strange given the rain. An hour later it was really low. With heavy heart, OH and I went outside, convinced that the liner had gone, which would mean we would have to take all the coping stones off the top of the pond to replace it with a new one. However, it soon appeared that there was a length of hosepipe dipped into the water, with its other end pouring water onto the path. It turns out OH had explained the principles of syphening to the foster children, using a straw and a glass a few days ago, and they had decided to 'go large' on the experiment using a bit of hose and the pond. With horror, I discovered that little girl (9) had sucked the old hose that was dipped into the green, three year old pond water. She says none of it went in her mouth - more by luck than judgement. But she is still alive. Maybe Mike, our garden is not safe at all....!
27/05/2014 at 19:58

Oh bless them - what a triumph!!!  

27/05/2014 at 20:06

Well, I had planned to empty the pond this summer and clean it out properly.  Didn't do it 2012 as we had the hosepipe ban, didn't do it last year because when we began fostering our lives went haywire (calmed down somewhat now - ish).  HATE cleaning out the pond, but at least it is already half emptied.  Tempting to suck on the hose myself and see how much more we could get out!!!  But then again, a humble bucket might suffice.  And we do have an electric pump somewhere.  It's when it gets down to the green slime at the bottom and smells like 'low tide' that it becomes a truly yeuchy job.

27/05/2014 at 20:09

Hope they're going to help you complete the job, and get really green and slimey 

27/05/2014 at 20:18

That would be lovely to watch Dove - like mud wrestling!  Only thing is, they would, without doubt, pierce the pond liner, which is a mortal fear of mine, so I think I will save the job for myself, sadly.  The wee fella said he would like a wildlife pond in his personal garden (this summer's project is to hack a pair of little gardens out of the wilderness at the back so they can do their own Chelsea every summer.)  Once he has that, they can clean out the slime there.  Our current pond is a bit sterile for nature because not much of it can get up there.  The bees like to sit on a lily pad and have a drink though. 

1 to 20 of 29 messages