London (change)
Today 17°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 10°C
21 to 40 of 50 messages
07/03/2013 at 12:13

Well done, Bookertoo! I still wish I were tidier, though p there's such pleasure in seeing a well-ordered space. My gaden will always be 'informal'.

07/03/2013 at 12:23

I have agsrden that like my house is lived in

When I have constructed anew bed or dug a bed out I can't wait for it to beccome lived in.

07/03/2013 at 12:26

Mine too.  Like Bookertoo I like to let plants go where they want to go although last year I did have to referee when so many invaded the wood chip path in the woodland corner while I was out having my neck fixed that I had to go in with heavy weaponry to clear a way through.  

Having started with grand ambitions to have all sorts of unusual plants and thus lost a small fortune to bad winters and indiscriminate weeding by OH, I am now only too happy to let what wants to grow grow more or less where it wants.

07/03/2013 at 13:51
The best gardens are where their owners are HAPPY IN THEM. I met an old lady who simply shoved plants in every space she had with little or no thought to design or anything. She loved her garden, her plants and it just oozed pleasure. That's great
07/03/2013 at 14:03
Sounds like my kind of planting Verdun
07/03/2013 at 21:11

I'm generally an untidy, messy person (other people tell me that). I just don't see the mess or worry about it, or I'm lazy so I guess the garden is the same. I'm growing a cottage style garden so I don't mind random planting/growing.

I do agree that gardening shouldn't be something that becomes a chore, that way you stop enjoying it.

08/03/2013 at 00:11

My planting is very much as it wants but the general tidying of the garden is very tidy. Im a bit OCD with it but I think thats out of the feeling of need to always be doing something in the garden rather than sit and enjoy it. This year, I have decided to sit on my hands and flatten my wheel barrow wheel so Im not so tidy. I want through the year interest and more wildlife. It will be a challenge but I think Im up for it hehe

08/03/2013 at 00:23
I control weeds very effectively...to be tidy and to benefit my plants. Have you noticed how plants prosper after nearby weeds are removed? We are all different...we don't all wear the same clothes or like the same food. I'm not into natural wild gardening or gardening with annuals but I can still enjoy seeing this style. Variety is good...no style is better than another
08/03/2013 at 00:49

I agree Verdun

08/03/2013 at 06:07

do you  mean tidy in clean or do mean organized.

the two are not mutually exclusive.

Lyn
13/03/2013 at 11:28

Do I keep a tidy garden!!!! This is the business end

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19780.jpg?width=350

The problem I have is that the garden is huge, probably third to half acre, gardens on all sides of the bungalow, but when my dad couldnt manage it any more, it run to grass or rather moss, and overgrown shrubs, I am now trying to get some shape and flower borders in, but I dont get any help. well hardly, beloved is not keen! so I am finding it all very slow and hard work.

Lyn
13/03/2013 at 11:43

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19781.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19782.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19784.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/19785.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

The little flower bed that you can just see jutting out behind the wishing well, had 7 full sized fir trees in it. You can see the work needed to be done to make it look nice, but we do battle with the weather, its cold and windy, coming off the moor, its acid soil, but workable, so I will get there in the end, just wish I could have started 10 years before!

13/03/2013 at 12:16
Verdun wrote (see)
The best gardens are where their owners are HAPPY IN THEM. I met an old lady who simply shoved plants in every space she had with little or no thought to design or anything. She loved her garden, her plants and it just oozed pleasure. That's great
Verdun wrote (see)

I'm like that Verdun,  I'll put plants where there's space must be the right colour is my only concern but I do like a nice clipped edge on the grass,  but are we really happy in the garden,  I find myself, when sitting in a chair,   enjoying that strange yellow object thinking  Oh maybe that would have gone over there and can I move it to another bed,  but then that's all the fun and enjoyment of gardening 

13/03/2013 at 12:45

Lyn, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job. What lovely views you have. You good post your pictures in the "garden gallery" thread. Lots of people have been looking at that and your garden is well worth looking at. Lovely snowdrops. I'm aiming for that but it takes a while.

Lyn
13/03/2013 at 16:45
I don't think it's anywhere near going into the gallery section, just a hard work in progress, when i get some flowers out I will post again.
There are beautiful gardens on here, I hope to pick up some tips.
13/03/2013 at 16:54
Busy-Lizzie wrote (see)

Lyn, it looks like you're doing a pretty good job. What lovely views you have. You could post your pictures in the "garden gallery" thread. Lots of people have been looking at that and your garden is well worth looking at.

I agree that those photos would be worth posting. By putting them in this Tidy thread, they'll soon be forgotten. By putting them in the photos thread, we'll all see how your garden comes to life, as the months tick away.

It's dead easy for anyone to post a photo of their garden looking at it's best, taken last Summer (I've done it myself). It's much more interesting, and inspiring to others, to see how a garden really is, right now.

Lyn
13/03/2013 at 22:50
Ok Lyon and lizzie, I will post them in the gallery, thank you for your comments.
14/03/2013 at 19:55

I am just not a tidy person with 6 dogs 3 cats 4 chickens and 2 ducks not easy brushed the mud off the path today only for the chicks to kick it all back on again hey ho

14/03/2013 at 20:08
I don't do tidy, paved area with pots alway untidy, I go for cottage garden look in the main garden (makes it sound big, it's tiny), then I don't have to be tidy.
14/03/2013 at 23:44

where do i look at photos in the gallery.the only ones i could find where of jo swift at a flower show...not ordinary gardeners gardens which is what i am interested in.thanks

21 to 40 of 50 messages