Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to rid a pesky plant

mac56mac56 Posts: 2

can anyone tell me how to get rid of this plant, it was introduced to my garden 3 years ago. It has since then spread like wild fire and each time i dig it out it keeps coming back. please help... 

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

It looks like Comfrey 

Not a plant I have but plenty do, I've heard it's impossible to get rid of image learn to harvest it, put the leaves in a bucket of water and let them rot. It turns into plant food image

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Or put the leaves in a bean trench or in the compost heap or down the potato rows. Valuable plant!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

It might be green alkanet

What colour are the flowers?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • iceice Posts: 332
    Looks like green alkanet, bane of my garden. If you can dig it up. But it has long thick brittle roots. Will let you know when I've finally managed to evict it what really works.
  • mac56mac56 Posts: 2

it has small but lovely blue flowers

• iceice Posts: 332
    Like forget me nots? Def sounds like green alkanet. Get digging! You need to get all the roots though. This has taken over my garden but I dug up loads and almost cleared a bed. Keeps popping up in other places though so be persient. Good luck!
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Yes, that's alkanet, there are some comfreys with blue flowers but the leaves look wrong for those.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Mel MMel M Posts: 347

If you do use Comfrey leaves to make feed, remember to dilute it - one mug full of the very smelly liquid to a 10ltr watering can. You can also put the leaves in the compost.